Waking up this morning was a task in itself. Back started to spasm at about 5am. Did not realize that the spasm was the thing I would be complaining about... well... that is until I tried to get out of bed to get more Advil and an ice pack to go through my ritual to get that darn spasm under control. The moment my feet hit the floor... so did the rest of me. Not a sight to see, but it happened. Every muscle in my body is tight, my knees are shot, and suddenly the searing pain in my back seemed to be less of an issue. Blizzard 2011 definitely made it possible to show me that I am not invincible. DH is feeling the hurt, too. I think we both learned a lesson from yesterday.
Complaining gets you nowhere.
DH moaned and complained about the snow all day yesterday. As I, decided to not say a word and worked on the massive amounts of heavy snow. I put myself 'in the zone', as I shoveled for hours. He wondered what was wrong with me. I was quiet and diligent in getting the shoveling done. I even stayed quiet after it was all over. I told him that whining about the snow, the shoveling, and the inconvenience gets you nowhere. The snow is not going to go away on it's own any time soon, and telling it how you loathe it will not make it clear itself from the driveway. Everyone on the block and farther were dealing with the same thing and were just doing what is needed to dig themselves out of this white beast of a snowfall. Needless to say, he stopped whining about the snow and shoveling. In fact, he slept the rest of the day.
I guess learning from myself is needed. Telling DH that complaining gets you nowhere worked wonders for him. He got up this morning to go to work. No complaining came from his lips about the pain I know that he is feeling. He is just determined enough to just get his day going. As for me, I sit here at my computer, blogging about how every muscle in my body is aching, how my knees (which I used quite often in lifting and throwing heavy snow in order to avoid back injuries) are so sore that I can barely stand, and that even in hindsight, pain somewhere else can cancel out the searing back spasm pain that I have been dealing with for years. I guess I just need to find a funny spin on my misery, but being the chick that I am, I just can't bring out that inner tomboy and let it slide.... Or can I?
I was told my a much older person than me that you can be as young as you want to be... as long as you can prove it in your actions. Well, today I might be 42 years old in real life, but I move like a 92 year old. Just gotta get moving and maybe I will feel a bit younger. Get back into the zone I was in yesterday and get this day going. Nope. Not gonna complain anymore. Just... gotta... keep... moving....
Ready of not, here I come! It won't be as fast as I usually can move, but I still can move. That is all that matters today...
you're 42? wut. you don't look that old in your picture
ReplyDeleteYes I am. This is also a recent picture for my profile. I gather I was blessed a face that does not show my age. Thanks for the compliment :)
ReplyDeleteYour only 42. You look older in the picture. :) j/k. Hope you feel better today. I think everyone who shoveled is feeling the effects. My back is a bit off too. :)
ReplyDelete