Good Morning Friends!!
It is Monday and I am thrilled!! Why do you ask? Well, it brings me one day closer to something that I have been trying to achieve since last fall..... Finding a "second job". Being a full time mother and homemaker, I do have one part time job and that is being a hairdresser. Believe me, I am quite happy with what I have been doing with those 2 jobs, but I don't get paid to take care of the house and DD, and my part time hairdresser job is more of a pleasure than a job that can create a feast or famine of a paycheck. Money has been tight everywhere and jobs are scarce. Now, I could have easily taken on more hours at my hairdresser job, but in order to make somewhat of a decent paycheck, you need to work what is considered nights (which is working after 5pm when people get off from their work), and having a child makes it really hard to be in 2 places at once, so to speak. Well, I do have to admit that she is getting older and she does need some independence, but I feel that she is too young to be home alone for long periods of time. That, and there are opportunities that would put me in a tight spot if I happen to have a busy day and a sick child at the same time. One would have to suffer without me and I really do not like turning my back on either. While being a mother first is my top priority, I do have a responsibility for my clients and people are "flighty" during these tough times and if I turn my back on them... They will go elsewhere. Darn hard work ethic I have!!! ;)
My options are simple, but achieving any sense of the intended goal of finding a job that does not make a substantial affect if I am needed to be home is a lot harder than it is. I need to find something that is part time and seasonal that co-insides with DD's school calendar and hours that she is there. And that has enough people doing the same hourly-paying work that can fill in for me if I am needed at home due to illness. Now, I am not implying that DH is incapable of stepping up his game to help on the home front, but his track record shows that he is less than willing to do anything extra at home because as I stated earlier... I am the homemaker, the caregiver... the mom. Even if sometimes I do not feel as if I am respected or revered as one... It has been my job and I have done this alone for the past 11 years and never even asked for help. I just keep thinking that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks and that change is only possible if there is a desire to change.... Both are not DH's strong points... enough said.
Now, I have been trying since this past fall to get a job at the local schools.... Elementary, middle, and high schools have basically the same calendar and I would be off when DD is off... including summer. Now, how ideal is that?!?! The concept is to get a job there, but after numerous attempts... I was never even called for an interview after sending in my resume' so much that if it was a book, it would be considered to have enough "sales" to be a best seller. But alas, it is not a book and it was never published for sale. I have kept up with my determination to get my foot at least in the door to get an interview to do anything.... and I mean anything in the local schools. You see, schools prefer to hire from within when it comes to available jobs that do not require a specific college degree. You can call them lame jobs, but they are jobs that have potential for growth. Not real sure if there is a high demand to be a hall monitor as a step up, but it is a step in a direction. For me... it is a step in the door.
Well, after trying and trying that resulted in no calls for an interview, I was about ready to chalk this recent attempt for a part time hall monitor job at a local high school as a lost cause. To my surprise, I received a call for an interview. Tomorrow is the day and I am just so thrilled that I can at least get an interview, I feel as if I broke down the wall that divides the "hire from within" and "hiring outside the building" just enough to get my toe over the threshold. Now, all I can do is hope that I wow them at the interview to consider me for the job and possibly get hired. I have gathered my connections that are in the district of the school and I hope their willingness to convince HR to hire me will be the final oomph to get more than my toe over the threshold. Then I can finally get DH off my hindquarters about finding a job that offers a steady and consistent paycheck to help with the finances.....
Wish me luck friends :)
No comments:
Post a Comment