The silly season is truly upon us. Thanksgiving is tomorrow and then Black Friday will commence. I know that the whole concept of Black Friday is the one day stores look forward to because it is the one day that they feel that their sales will finally put them "in the black" after such a dismal year. This economy, along with a really poor working government, has put the kibosh on what has been coined as "living the American dream". Every hard working American is in fear of becoming a statistic in the jobless market and are holding tightly (with teeth clenched) to their jobs that overwork them and underpay them. Having a job puts you above the curve of poverty, but in all reality, we are just as poor as the next schlub. This whole "robbing Peter to pay Paul" scenario just to get by is getting a little old. After roughly four years of Obama spinning his wheels and the Houses of Government having a battle of wills, the American public is tired and frustrated. I should know. I gave DH a big boy pill and delegated that he takes over the finances since he is the major bread winner here. Watching him squirm has offered me a little amusement, but his refusal for my advise in how things need to be done is really setting my nerves on edge.
So, how did I get that notion to call the holiday season, "the silly season"? Simple. The holiday season has become more and more commercialized. People frantically race from store to store looking for the best deals on things to give that fit into their budget. People seem to act more like they are the only ones that count instead of sharing peace and goodwill towards their fellow man, woman, or child. Fights over the better parking spot, watching where you are walking, and the common courtesies that we were taught as children no longer applies. Fighting over the last "it" toy, grabbing stuff from other's carts, and knocking over people to reach the rack seem to humor those working in the store. Well, that is until you are responsible of ringing up their stuff. Then it seems like the days we have spent dealing with those that work at the DMV. After the battle to get the best deal, people walk out of those stores feeling quite spent. In fact, they seem to forget that there are other people trying to get to where they need to go. In their shopping induced haze, they wander aimlessly in front of those that just want to get the shopping experience over with. Wow, if there was absolutely zero concern for the safety of their fellow man, there would be carnage as far as the eye can see. No, but you will see a vast number of people cussing and flipping the finger. I guess that is the new way to spread the holiday spirit.
Fortunately, the major department stores decided to throw Christmas in our faces that much earlier. Door buster sales started as soon as the first of November, Christmas decorations were put up right after the Halloween rush. A certain radio station in the Chicago area decided that to further put you in the Christmas spirit would start playing Christmas music, 24/7, since the day after Halloween. Probably sooner, but I rarely seek out holiday music on the radio before an actual holiday. Nice to know that overkill is becoming an acceptable practice. While it is a reasonable request to be better prepared for the upcoming holiday, I would appreciate a little more honest advertising.
Last week, Macy's was having a sale on winter coats. Something in the area of $60 coats selling for $15. Advertised as a one day sale should be a major draw for people to come in. DD was in need of a new winter coat, so the timing was relatively ideal that there was a sale. Little did we know, that the sale was for only 4 hours. Being denied to purchase the coat during that time because DD thinks I have horrific fashion sense (and not sure what size she really needed), I was required to wait. Apparently, it was a stipulation from DH that the money handed to me to get said coat required to wait to drag child in tow after school. I giggled as I had to report to DH that the money he handed me was not enough to get her coat, but it was his lucky day that I had a few dollars in my wallet to cover the difference. Sorry, Bud, no change for you... I did share with him that if I was allowed to purchase the necessities in my time frame, we would be saving money, but alas, since giving DH the big boy pill about our finances I am still the scapegoat for why money is so tight. Happy holidays to me!
With Christmas just around the corner, I wince with anticipation that I will have to do the Christmas shopping. I hate shopping. I would rather get a root canal than deal with the holiday crowds. Maybe, if I drag DH to these overcrowded shopping meccas, he might actually take my advice and just get gift cards....
No comments:
Post a Comment