Yawn... Good morning.
The Winter season is coming to a close and Spring is just around the corner. If things were remotely considered "normal" around here, we would be starting to ever-so-slightly see the blanket of snow start to melt, but alas... there is no snow on the ground. As I have no complaints about the milder than normal winter we had (well, I know I have had a few from time to time), I just seem to have the hardest time adjusting to time changes.
Obviously, by now, you realize what I am talking about.... Daylight savings time changes. Twice a year, we change our clocks according to the seasonal changes. We gain an hour in the Fall and lose an hour in the Spring. Not everywhere does this, ya know. There are places along the time zones that are not required to change their clocks twice a year. I remember hearing about this town in Indiana that happens to be right on the line between two different time zones and does not need to change their clocks. Not sure what time zone they go by when it comes to when the news is aired on TV (you know, Eastern or Central), but they get the convenience of not needing to do all that much adjusting to time. I cannot confirm, nor deny that there are probably more places that do not require that hour flux like most other people get to experience, but I would believe so. I think I might want to move there.... I just have a hard time adjusting to the time change. Eventually, I will get used to the hour difference, but my body just cannot reset that quickly.
In the Fall, we get that "extra hour" to sleep, and it takes me at least 2 weeks to finally adjust to utilize that "extra hour", which ends up being not really an extra hour. Up before the sun rises when I do not have to feels really weird to me. In the Spring, I have the same issue. I just cannot get my body to adjust to losing that extra hour.... it takes me a couple of weeks to get into the swing of things, and it is a really hard couple of weeks. Sleeping in when I need to be up becomes quite stressful. I hate running behind. If I had to choose which one I can handle better is when I have not adjusted to the extra hour when it comes to sleep, but I prefer the warmer weather and longer daylight. Winter gets so dismal... Shorter time of actual sunlight can depress the happiest of people. Then there is the snow, the colder temperatures, and the lack of colors that can depress a person. As my mom has said over the years.... "Winter makes the everything look dead and frozen." I have to agree with that statement. Even though winter does have its pretty moments with that glistening white blanket covering nature while it sleeps. Once the road salt hits the ground, the tires hit the road, when the snow plows clear paths and when the snow starts to melt... pretty dingy of a picture, if you ask me, but when a fresh layer of snow covers the ground and the "sleeping trees".... it can be quite breathtaking.
While I do enjoy the longer days, the more sunshine, the warmer temperatures the Spring and Summer offer, I do kind-of dread the one thing that can be quite soothing to me.... rain. Living in a flood zone is not fun or relaxing. Being on constant guard over the water level in the laundry room drain on the floor is not my way of relaxing, but not having sewage back-up into my home is the intended goal. Living like we are on a camping trip every time a heavy rain comes along kind of kills the interest in ever going camping for fun. I would rather have the convenience of running water whenever I want to, but if he have to cut the sewer line to our house off the the main to avoid backup... it is a bad idea to have what you flushed come back up in the laundry room. While it is part of life in my home... it is my home and adjusting is mandatory... no doubt about it. Would love to move, but we would have to do some major work to have it like those other houses that appeal to buyers. One investment would set us back roughly 10K to fight nature when it comes to the sewer line seeking its natural level. While we would love to get that done.... we just can't see shelling that out right now and what we currently do does work... so that would just have to wait. If we were to sell this house... I know that we would have to get that done. We could not fathom giving that nightmare to the next person to live here. Yep, the schools are great, but the house floods in heavy rain. Home buyers look for more good than not-so-good.
Well, off to enjoy an early Spring gift of another warm day. Rained last night... no flooding (whoop whoop). Gotta check the local radar to see if I can get some laundry done today since it is supposed to rain on and off all day today. I'll take the warmer temps, so no complaints here. Have a great day everyone!!
No comments:
Post a Comment