Monday, December 17, 2012

Oh, for the love of all that is good and holy!

I really need to stop reading romance novels!!  Really!!

I was told that there comes a time that the need to read a certain genre of books, it is a cry of need in that aspect of your life... aka: Reading what you lack.  While not all genres scream the need a certain aspect (because reading is an enjoyable outlet), it is the feeling behind the writing that attracts a person to it.  Trust me, I have not met a person that feels that they are lacking witches and wizards or dragons in their life, as well as psychopathic serial killers, but when it comes to fictional romance novels or non-fiction works like biographies...  there is a hidden meaning to the enjoyment of the books... and understandable at that.

While some people have told me that in order to truly get a genre of books out of your system, you need to read until the breaking point of boredom to finally get release from the attachment.  In fact, one person mentioned to me that reading romance novels offers a chance to connect to an aspect that taps an inner part of you that you choose to hide from.  While all of that is understandable, I think I have a SERIOUS problem!  I just can't get enough of it and I am so seriously in touch with the warm/fuzzy notion that I am seeing things in a far than reasonable light.  My imagination is really getting out of hand these days!!!

So, let me tell you where I think this is a problem....

Disclosure:  I am fully aware that I am a married woman and would never do anything to jeopardize it.

There is a saying among married people and it goes like this.....  "I may be married, but I am not dead.  I can look, I can admire, and I will never... NEVER touch or act upon it."

But seriously folks, I FELT INTELLECTUALLY AMBUSHED TODAY!!  I am a remotely smart woman in her 40's and I have been known to hide my reactions quite well, but I am really wondering if I looked as ridiculous as I felt this morning.  I never in my dizziest days thought I could feel the heat of blushing cover me from my toes to the very top of my head, nor did I feel the need to check to see if I was drooling, but I managed to see what my mind imagined was the epitome of the heroes that are written in romance novels today....  Tall, broad shoulders, soulful eyes, chiseled features, killer smile.....  Yep, I came face to face with a person that made my insides melt and made me imagine all sorts of things I never can share in this blog.  Heck, I think I forgot what my name was when I talked to this guy!  I have serious doubts that whatever came out of my mouth made any sense and I looked like a complete moron.  I believe I babbled, I think I might have said or done something funny because he did laugh, and I can honestly say that my mind spoke way too loud to hear what this person was saying to me.  I do remember talking a bit about our spouses and kids (and THANK GOD for that), but other than that....  I really could not recite word-for-word what this person was trying to sell me.  Well, I kind of have a clue, but chances are I am completely wrong.  Fortunately, I was too dumbfounded to buy anything on the spot, but if I did not have DH's constant reminder that we just cannot afford to buy things just willy-nilly... I probably would have bought whatever he was selling.  After the sales pitch was over, all I could think about is how darn lucky his wife happens to be and questioned why I settled.  That, my friends, is what scared me to realize I need to stop reading romance novels.  I just wonder how I can do that because grabbing a biography, mystery, suspense, or horror novel is so not appealing to me.  Trust me... I have tried.  UGH!  I am hopeless!!!

Okay... time for me to go crawl under a rock...

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment