Good morning! My house is back to it's quietness since my little furry friend's master returned last night and was taken back to his home. In hindsight, I was hoping my little plan would have worked. I was hoping that once DH felt how alive our home could be if we got another dog... he would finally agree to letting us get one. I know, I know.... it was sneaky and underhanded of a plan I hatched in order to get another dog here, but my intentions were pure. DD and I have been wanting a dog of our own after most of the healing we went through after the loss of our German Shepherd, Molly. We had almost 12 glorious years with her and her passing was quite painful. Knowing that we could never just replace her, we held back on getting another puppy to love and care for. Of course, our money situation became painfully tight after all the vet bills came rolling in, so the notion of getting another puppy was definitely pushed back on the list of getting. I know we are still struggling financially, but it was looking like we could quite possibly get a pup soon. Heck, we do not take vacations anymore and we are here all the time. DH is the only one that can take a little "fishing" trip once a year with zero guilt on how much it costs to go, while DD and I have remained at home. Family vacations are non-existent here obviously, just by that mention of who gets to take a little time for themselves. DD may get invited for sleepovers at friends houses from time to time, but as for me.... I will never see outside of my home for any extended period of time. I did do one overnight stay at a hotel for a wedding a while back, but I even felt guilty for going. I used to do an overnight bike ride through Chicago every year with my friends, but since my best friend moved away.... I just cannot see myself doing that anymore, but even with that in mind.... I never really have taken a vacation that is just for me. I have become tethered to my house and strangely enough.... I am kind-of okay with that. I guess it is all in the conditioning through not being able to do for so long, you just embrace less and never ask for more.
Well, I figured my little plan would bring my family closer together, having a puppy to care for and all, but I was painfully WRONG. DH held his ground and did absolutely NOTHING over the weekend. No interacting with our furry visitor what-so-ever. DD kept herself in her room all weekend with only a few appearances out of her room to walk our little guest while I was at work on Saturday and to eat. When I was home.... it was just me and that pup. He was my shadow and never left my side. He followed me EVERYWHERE and slept next to me at night. Going to the bathroom alone was no longer an option and trying to cook dinner was a circus act. Of course, our little guest was forlorn over his master leaving him and barely ate, but I was more determined to make sure he ate something. I was the one that went on the longest walks with this little guy so he could trot along happily, having a little adventure here and there. I was the one that crawled on the floor and played for hours on end with stuffed animals, balls and whatnot to entertain him until his master returned.
On the final long walk I took our little guest on, I had time to think and I was not really happy with what I was thinking.... While I am ready for another dog to love and care for, my family is obviously not. DH's resolve to remain detached from the life brought into our home stayed firm and that firmly cemented the notion that we are never going to get the okay to have another dog in our house to call our own. DD's love and affection is random and at random times. The newness of having a dog wore off of her quite quickly and she returned to her teenager ways of being detached from the family and attached to her room with her computer games, cell phone, and solidarity. With zero help from those two over the weekend, I still had to do all the things I normally did when we do not have a dog to tend to. I became quite overwhelmed and quite disappointed in those two, but I definitely learned my lesson..... They may want to like having the notion of having another dog in the house, but they do not want to deal with the responsibility.
So last night, with a heavy heart, I said goodbye to my little furry guest and watched him return to his home with his master and grabbed my book to sit down and finish reading that awful book. I really do not have a clue as to how it got rave reviews on Amazon, but for 99 cents, I thought I got a deal. Apparently, it is a hit-or-miss crap-shoot when it comes to books. I managed to finish it, rate it on Amazon and went to bed with no little furry friend to cuddle next to me. Oh well, back to my quiet house and my usual routine. Whenever I get the idea of mentioning that I would love to have another dog, I will have to remember this past weekend's events.... While I loved the attention I got from my little furry guest, I did not appreciate the lack of involvement from my family as well as the pressure that was placed before me to do everything alone... again. This weekend could have been far greater if they did try to enjoy the presence of something more in our house, but I know now that I was being punished.
No comments:
Post a Comment