Friday, November 15, 2013

The fragility of life.....

I know, as well as countless others, that life is a gamble.  A risk usually willingly taken by choice, with hopes that the outcome is favorable.  We are aware that when it comes to risk factors....  it really is a 50/50 chance.  Regardless of the true risk factors because we are cautionary people...  even in the most dangerous of times.  The reason behind the natural instinct to be cautious?  The true fear of an untimely death.

It is common knowledge that we are all destined to die at some point in our lives.  Some far sooner than others, but it is destined to happen.  While most of us like to believe that our life expectancy is determined by a higher power, there is a small number that make that decision all on our own.  Does this make acceptance of death any easier to take?  No.

I guess the reason I am sharing this morbid thought today is because I lost another person from my life.

Just yesterday, I got the news that another neighbor of mine has passed away.  Of course, it was a total shock at how this came about because this person's death happened because of an injury that could have been avoided.

I am the type of person that once you become my friend.... you are a true friend.  Sure, we all have different levels of friends and friendships that range from acquaintance to sibling-from-another-family-best friend.  I just happen to see this pool of friends more as a thread in the tapestry of my life and every thread is important to me.  All appreciated... all revered...

Well, this neighbor/friend of mine was a 86 year old gem.  He was the kindest and most generous person I had the pleasure of meeting in my journey of life.  Of course, the how I got to know this person (and his wife) was through their pet.  Yep, a dog lover at heart always seems to connect with other dog lovers far easier than others.  This true gentleman always had a smile upon his face and always kind words coming from his mouth.  Heck, I saw him as a perpetual ray of sunshine.  A stubborn and determined to remain active ray of sunshine.  I recall times in the winter, this man walking his dog down my sidewalk to stop by, hand me the leash and grab my shovel to help me clear my driveway while I got to be greeted with "puppy happiness" in my day.  It always ended up with me taking my shovel back from him to tell him it is not necessary to do my job, but he would give me that look that told me that I was not to do a man's job.  Yep, a true gentleman.  Albeit a bit old-fashioned, but a true gentleman.  He reminded me of my dad.  With my dad being gone for almost 13 years....  this man with his old-fashioned gentlemanly ways reminded me that even though he was gone... he would never be forgotten.

Knowing the stubborn streak this gem of a neighbor was, I should not be surprised that he would do as he pleased and would get himself hurt, but it did anyway.  His wife demanded that he should not go on the roof to clean the gutters of the fallen leaves.  She was arranging for one of their kids to handle this, or even considering calling a service to handle it for them.  Climbing on to the roof is a serious risk that should not be taken by the likes of an 86 year old man.  His stubbornness and determination came at a price because he decided to climb on the roof while his wife went to the grocery store.  With their house being down the block from my house, I could not see him climb onto the roof, nor did I see him fall off the roof... nobody did. But I did see the paramedics come screaming down my street when his wife came home to blood on her front porch step and the ladder laying on the ground.  Somehow, her husband, in shock apparently, got himself into the house and up the stairs and into bed.  He even took off his shoes at the door and hung his coat on the chair.  I learned that he lost all speech capabilities and was falling unconscious when his wife found him.  A severe head injury, a broken hip, a broken wrist, and a broken leg is what happened upon impact.  Internal bleeding on the brain is what did him in.  He did not make it through the night.

If he would have listened to his wife and avoided going on the roof, chances are he would still be here with us today...  spreading his kindness, positive attitude, and being the reminder that true gentlemen still exist.

Heck, just thinking of the risk for cleaning gutters makes me shiver.  That is one thing I will not do here at my own home.  DH handles that task and I now have even more reason to be fearful.  We are not getting any younger and even though the odds are always a true 50/50....  I see this as a risk that nobody should take.  There needs to be some sort of safety measure in place, but even with safety measures.... the risk is still a true 50/50.  I know I am not willing to take it, but others are.  All I know is that if it is my time to pass....  I want it to be peaceful and in my sleep because my gentle neighbor's way was filled with fear and pain.  Falling from a roof for Pete's sake!!!  I feel sick just thinking about it.  It also reminds me the fragility of life as well as the uncertainty of how much time we really have.

Be safe, friends, and have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment