Morning folks.
While I have yet another load of laundry in the wash, I figured I would take a little time to share the jumbled and forgetful thought process of a person nearing the ripe old age of 43...
Money has been tight and I have been working feverishly to try to get a job in the elusive and also exclusive local school job market. They prefer to hire from within, but there are rare opportunities that come along when they hire from outside the confines. I think being turned down right after sending my resume' has become commonplace, but getting the interview was definitely a hopeful sign that I could join this exclusive club they have. Sadly, after doing my best to impress I was shot down yet again with a letter dated 2 days before my follow up call to let them know that I was still interested and looking forward to a call back. What shocked me was they could not have told me when I called that they already made up their mind and saved the paper and postage for the letter. Oh well, I just gotta keep trying.
Since there are no more posts at the local schools of jobs that I am qualified for, I mentioned to my boss at my part time job that I am willing to be "on call" to help out when needed. With my abilities to do hair, nails and makeup, I figured that I would get a few calls in. Little did I remember that the months of May and June are what us hairdressers call "the silly season". Between prom and weddings, we get slammed with special occasion services of up dos, makeup, manicures and pedicures. I have been called in more times than I care to count. Great for the paycheck, but hard to keep balance in my home. Sadly, once the silly season filled with Bridezillas and potential Prom Queens will end and there will be a major lull until August for the "back to school rush". Feast or famine is the game.... Feast or famine....
With all the extra work going on, DH is taking his annual fishing trip with his friends. Well, that is what we call it. Basically, it is an extended weekend of a drink fest that ends with memories of good laughs, a hangover and a sunburn. DH might catch a fish or two, but throws them back. He would never eat fish, so why keep it is his thought process. As he gets to rest, relax and laugh, I get to stay home with DD and take care of things on the home front. Between going into work every day DH is gone, I get to take care of DD, plan her first sleepover since I have always felt that DH has zero patience for any more estrogen flowing through this house and avoided throwing one because of it, and try to have a little fun myself with a BBQ with friends. DD is thrilled to have a sleepover that does not require allergy meds and an inhaler.
Along with all of this.... I am participating in a fundraiser at my work. You see, a co-worker of mine made the decision to top being an organ and tissue donor on the back of your driver's license... She is donating a kidney to anyone who really needs it. When she told me her plans, my first question was if it was going to a family member or friend. When her answer was "no" and that her wishes were to donate to a person that is dire need... any person... I was taken back. I never thought I would meet or even know a person that offers such a selfless act for the greater good of a complete stranger. In my opinion... she is an angel for ever considering something of this magnitude. She is serious about doing this and went through a battery of tests, psychological tests, and whatever they made her do to make sure of her intentions. She passed with flying colors, is in perfect health (mentally and physically) to do a live organ donation. Since we do have two kidneys and technically only need one, it is possible to do live donations for this and still live a full life afterwards. As for me... I think I will just keep my donations of organs until after I die, thank you :)
Well, in honor of her courage and determination to help in a way that not too many people consider, the salon I work at is doing a "cut-a-thon" to raise money to a foundation that helps live donors, like my co-worker and friend is doing, with financial assistance for their generosity. It takes longer for a donor to heal. Six weeks to be exact. Vacation and sick time might only cover 3 weeks of missed work and this foundation steps in to help when your job does not cover the time off. Feeling so proud of her and her gift of life to another, I am honored to offer my services at the fundraiser that day. With having nobody to watch DD, she is coming with me and will help, too. I just wonder if my little clutter bug will be willing to do some sweeping that day ;)
All in the mix of it all, and saving every penny from the extra hours/days at work, I decided to throw a little BBQ for me and my friends while DH is away. He can't complain about the cost because I saved up for it. I am so looking forward to it, but so nervous about it. I will be running around like a kid on a massive sugar rush. The sleepover is the night before, I have a client to take care of in the morning at work, I need to make sure my home is clean for my guests after the sleepover, I get to prep for all the cooking since it is a BBQ, fit in some fun, clean it up afterwards to go into work again for the full day because I cannot take my time cleaning up afterwards before DH is to come home while I am at work. Just mix in a few other things like the last day of school for DD, her taekwondo classes, and having one less person to help with the grocery shopping and I think I have hit my limit of things to do. I just have to remember to stop taking on any more stuff or I will be the one in the corner with a drool cup under my chin, rocking back and forth, and muttering to myself....
Gotta fly... lots to do.... Have a good one :)
No comments:
Post a Comment