Friday, January 6, 2012

The Fruity Mistake....

I have a little public service announcement that will come in handy of you ever get the opportunity to do what I did today.....

Everyone has a time in their lives that we tend to follow the fads of diets to lose those few pounds that can make us feel one notch above feeling like a beached whale.  I am no exception.  Now, Weight Watchers is not really a "diet" as it is a learning tool for a lifestyle change for the better.  Sadly, the road to graduating from terrible eater to a healthy one has its ups and downs.  During the journey, we try to do things that we never would normally do on our dizziest days because as the saying goes... "if it aint broke... don't fix it".  Sometimes, change is necessary for health reasons, but learning your limitations should be first on that "to do list" of making a lifelong change for the better.

There is a common link that products like Alli (the diet supplement) and the components that make sugar free candy - sugar free- when it comes to a person's digestive tract.  A dear friend made the best analogy that products that can create diarrhea because of food choices is like the "dog clicker" method to never do that again.  Alli, blocks fat from entering the body and if you eat too much fat... well, what you ate will pass through you like greased pig through a tube.  Same goes for sugar free candy...  eat too much and you will be spending the day in your bathroom.  Both things will offer you a little "nudge" that you made a major miscalculation in judgement with gas pain, cramping and an overwhelming fear that bodily functions can happen without anny effort... ie diarreah.

That is what my dietary journey took me to today.  No, I did not take the dietary supplement Alli.  I accidentally overindulged in the Weight Watcher sugar free treat called "fruities", and now I am getting punished for it.....

After scarfing down breakfast, I went along with my usual running of the errands.  I dropped off DD at school, called the chiropractor to get an emergency adjustment, did a little shopping for DD's upcoming sleepover event and called DD's doctor to make an appointment to get her ears cleaned out.  (crazy kid uses ear-buds with her mp3 player and jammed the wax in her ears to where she is having difficulty hearing anything)  As the doctor's office goes through its "protocol" of making me talk to a nurse before I can be allowed to make the appointment, I get an appointment for her for today at 11:00.  Not leaving much time to have my mid-morning snack since my breakfast consisted of just a small bowl of cereal, I raced through the errands I needed to do, picked up DD from school and race her off to see the doctor.  By the time we get to the doctor's office, I am absolutely famished and look into my purse, lovingly called the black hole, for something to keep my hunger at bay.  Poor planning on my part left me nothing but those little fruit snacks from Weight Watchers.  As famished as I was, I figured that if I had just a few pieces, I should make it through the not so surprisingly long wait at the doctor's office and get some much needed lunch.  Knowing that if I overindulge, I will get that "dog clicker" result, so I thought I was paying attention to how much I had.  Obviously, I didn't.

After an hour at the doctor's office, I take DD to Subway for a sandwich since it is lunch time.  We order our sandwiches and sat down to eat.  Apparently, I forgot that there is a period of time that the "dog clicker" effects need to brew inside my digestive system and loaded my sandwich with all that healthy whole grain and vegetable goodness that also causes gas in people.  I was trying to follow the Weight Watcher credo... "eat your fruit and vegetables every day", and just added on more gas in my system that if I did not eat the sandwich, already had a taxing effect from those darn "fruities".  Feeling quite ill, and oddly enough a growl came from my stomach.  Then it occurs to me that if I even think of passing gas, I just might "soil myself" for my mindless choices.

Luckily, I got DD back to school, high-tailed it home and made it to the sanctuary that I call my bathroom.  What really sucks is that now I am going to be on a very short leash from my bathroom until the effects of what I did finally wear off.  What a waste of a beautiful day outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment