Ever feel that life is too predictable and routine? Kind of like being a dog that chases it's tail? I know I feel that way. I have come to the conclusion that my life is a routine. I like to see myself as an explorer compared to a thrill seeker. I would never jump from a plane for fun, tie a bungee chord and leap from a tall bridge, or go swimming with the sharks to break this mundane cycle that we call "life". Just being somewhere with something to do is what I like. It can be as simple as going to a museum, the zoo, or even a bar. While being at these places can become quite droll after a while, it does hold some form of entertainment because there are people around. I guess you can call me a social explorer of sorts. I just find it so comical that I have a family that is so tightly wound that they cannot see the fun life can have when it comes to our "family time". Between DH with his job that occupies him during the week, DD with school, and my part time job that consumes my Saturdays... we get really only one day (Sunday) to enjoy each others company. Sadly, both DH and DD do not have the social explorer gene in them. Well, not when it consists having the family involved. On their own, they are perfectly capable of having fun with other people. I would have just hoped that they could consider their family as potential fun.
I swear, Sundays are the longest day of my week. We spend that day together, but it is just routine and predictable. Make breakfast, make the grocery list for the week, and do the shopping. That is not the trio of a fun filled day for me. They even have the lack of motivation to help put the groceries away or wash the morning dishes. That has become my routine... cook, clean and put away. DH watches the marathon of reruns of a handful of shows that are capable of boring a person to sleep (which he does throughout the day), DD disappears into her room and has at least 2 forms of electronic entertainment (her mp3 player and her laptop) going, and I get to return back to what I do all the time.... cook, clean and put away things. DH with his routine of who, what, where, when and how he does things even sets me into snore mode. His demands for what he likes is so intense that I believe that he has tunnel vision. His recent bitching over the new location of our grocery store not having his choice in nuts made me lose my patience with him for the rest of the day. Apparently, his tunnel vision over where the pen is that he uses to pay the bills sets him into a tirade if it is not where he placed it. The moans and sighs of disgust and frustration are like sandpaper on my last nerve. Once he is appeased, then at least I get to relax because I am the only one to fix his broken routine apparently. The endless nitpicking over minuscule details is setting me on the edge of doing something stupid. What I need done takes weeks to get done. He finally finished fixing the washing machine yesterday. Nice to know he prolonged that repair. Now I am so far behind on laundry that it is gonna take me a solid week to catch up when it usually took me only one day. I can only gather that his interest in finally fixing the washing machine is because of my stubbornness in not washing any of his clothes until it is fixed and he is running out of clean socks. Well, he can wait now. I do whites last and if it is gonna take me a week... well plan on getting clean socks by the weekend...LOL. Sucks to wait, right?
While I try to be on the weight watchers lifestyle, I have refused to track anything because we eat the same stuff every week. Mr. Tunnel Vision and Little Miss Routine (both picky eaters) cannot look through a cookbook and get a new idea for me that they will agree upon as something new. Our budget is in place and toying with that would offer change that DH cannot embrace. Believe me, I have a small library of cookbooks that offer variety to the droll and mundane menu that they prefer, but as long as I can avoid yet another complaint that there is something different in our lives... I will work with what I have to work with. Kind-of like an artist that is required to make the same artwork over and over again because of demand. I am just too tired to try anymore. If they want to see the world in only one color, they can have that.... As for me.... It is Monday and they are not here. This is my chance to go and do something different just for me and me alone. I love it when I have the opportunity to no longer chase the same tail.
On a side note: I did try to play along with the bantering game that DH and DD play that drives me on the brink of insanity. All it did was make DH feel left out. As I played, he sat quietly and said that he was there just for the ride and did not participate. Talk about not embracing change. I guess there has to be a grownup in this mix and he thinks it should be me...... How sad is that?
Now, off to my weekly weigh in.... sigh.
Have a great day and thanks for reading :)
No comments:
Post a Comment