Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The little things in life.....

Good morning!  I am a simple girl.  I am not much for frills and extra "bells and whistles" with what I happen to have.  As long as it serves its purpose...  I am as happy as a clam.  The past couple of weeks became a shopping frenzy, so to speak.  I made a few purchases and is thrilled with each and every one of them.  This is my list (and hopefully DH stays so calm over what I have managed to do).  Please keep in mind that I rarely, if ever purchase anything for myself...

Two weeks ago, I bought a grill pan.  I know, not all exciting, but if you ever watch those cooking shows, a grill pan is a necessity.  Laugh now, but it took me years to finally get one and be "in the the crowd".  Greatest thing ever!!!  Then, after realizing that Lent season was upon us, I went and got an electric griddle to handle making more potato pancakes in less time.  Cooking on an electric stove really sucks when your pan is bigger than the burner and there is not one pan on this planet that offers even cooking.  Takes me hours to make potato pancakes when there is a limited "hot spot" to cook with.  After purchasing that and seeing how much easier my life became, I am looking forward to using that thing for more than just potato pancakes.  Sadly, it took me years to realize that a griddle was a good investment.  Then recently, my keyboard and speakers for my computer wore out.  Slamming down on certain keys was getting a bit frustrating and even though I rarely ever use my speakers, I hated to hold those darn things up to my ears to hear anything (and yes, I had the volume full blast and barely heard anything).  After going for a quick run to the store (and being the most frugal shopper I can be), I found a keyboard that functions just great and speakers that work.  I just have to get used to having a curved keyboard...  I now have to look at the keyboard to type again.  Sigh, it will be a matter of time I will actually get used to this thing, but I am quite happy with what I managed to get.  Oh, and I forgot that my absolutely terrible organizational skills had me lose an external drive I needed and got a new one.  So far, so good....  No need for DH to (as I lovingly call) afro-engineer something to take the place of what is broken.  While I know that he is not able to form a non-stick grill pan, computer keyboard, or external drive... I would believe that he could manage to creatively make speakers and a griddle pan.

The proof is in the pudding here, folks....  If I can still own a wall mounted double oven that probably came with this house that still works (I should know... DH now creatively manufactures replacement parts since there our oven is beyond obsolete), our circa 1978 washer and dryer are still alive and kicking (in fact seem to work like brand new after he finally finished fixing them), and we still have the same heating and AC unit from only God knows when (sadly, our neighbor that helped bring our AC back to life has passed away)....  Our home is now current again.  Somehow, trends make a full circle after a while... "what is old becomes new again".  While I would absolutely love to have new things to replace this old stuff, I understand that old adage... if it is broke and can be fixed... just fix it.  Newer things do not necessarily mean better if you become broke trying to keep up with the Jones'.

Now, knowing that my computer is working fine... I can stop daydreaming dreading about getting a new one. After doing a little preventative sticker-shock shopping, I am happy with my $14 speakers, my $20 keyboard, and my $50 external hard drive.  That $84 investment is cheap compared to the minimum $900 investment for a new computer.  I now get it why DH is so cheap.  I just hope that he understands that these little things impacted me in a big way.  Really, who needs diamonds when the things you use every day now work better than they have in the past.  While lavish gifts are nice...  all I need are the basic necessities.  So if DH asks me what I want for Christmas (or for my birthday)... I can now say, "buy me a beer" and have one with me because I have everything I need (for now)....

Thanks for reading...  Have a great Leap Day!! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Hanging out is always the best. :)

    Have a good one Nancy. :)

    ReplyDelete