The service industry is in a pinch. People have been losing their jobs, their homes and some seem to have lost hope. When money is tight, people find ways to cut back and save money. It could be clipping coupons, eating at home instead of out all the time, walking to work to save on gas for their car... So many things change when you are required to be on a budget. I see less and less regularity for my clients when it is time to get their hair done. In fact, I have lost a few clients over the past year. I miss each and every client that I have lost.
Since there is more time in the day that I have open for new clients, I try my hardest to "sell myself". Nope, not pimping like a prostitute, but convincing people to come and see me for their haircare needs. What makes it harder is that the salon I work for is considered a salon/spa combo. Which means... we are not the cheapest, but we are not the most expensive. Well, since money is a valued thing and it is not as abundant in anyone's checkbook or wallet, it is considered a luxury to go to where I work. People are opting to go to those in and out chain salons that charge a small amount for haircuts, buying box color at the grocery store, and even trying to cut their own hair. The ones that still make the investment to get their hair done by me have been waiting even longer to come and see me. What was every 4-6 weeks has been stretched out to 2-3 months. I love my job, but sitting around does not pay the bills.... Feast or famine, kiddo... Feast or famine is my world.
Now, since I take so much pride in what I do, I know that the clients I have will come back (unless they move away or die). I have never been a pushy saleswoman, I do not demand that they pre-book their next appointment, and I only suggest what products they need to take care of their hair at home. Sadly, I have a client base that cannot sell me to their friends and family. Referrals are hard to come by if you are "their little secret to looking good".
But where do I go from here? What do I need to do to rebuild my crumbling service job I love so much? I have spent my time in those chain salons... quantity over quality... impersonal service... selling my talents for mere pennies. Call me a prude or a princess, but I prefer that I cut clean hair. Those places just spray down dirty hair with water and cut away. Just the thought of running my fingers through unwashed hair makes my skin crawl, but it is cheaper to not get shampooed and that is what people are doing... skipping the shampoo to save some money. People are willing to forgo personalized service, be treated like a number and sent on their way... all for the low, low price of $8.00 for a haircut! Maybe, if you are lucky, they might actually spring a dollar for a tip. No wonder I have seen some really bad haircuts walk out of that place. Those stylists have sold their soul. If their work is any indication... They hate where they work.
Every stylist, upon graduation from beauty school has put in some time in what other stylists call a "chop shop". There are a select few that took the biggest risk and worked at a salon that you need to build a client base. The difference between a chop shop and a salon is how you get paid. Chop shops pay a meager hourly wage and one commission check (less your hourly wage) a month. The more you bring in, the more money you can make. A salon pays commission only; you get a percentage of what you do for a client, so sitting around earns you... nothing. It is hard core, but it is worth it if you are always busy. The cost for a haircut is totally different in each place; a chop shop charges under $10, a salon charges more. The atmosphere is different, the service is different, and your end result is different.
I remember being told, back in beauty school, that the only maker of your destiny is... you. I was under the impression that it was in regards to how hard you work, and how good you are at what you do. I never was told that I had to sell myself. Now I understand. But, how do I do it? How can I build a client base if the people are avoiding the salon to save some money? I have cut prices, offered free stuff, asked for referrals and even offer discounts to new clients. I even offer little freebies to the clients I already have to try to keep them coming back. Since my selling abilities are nil, I need to find a solution. I was talking to another stylist that is always busy and that the economy has not put a pinch in her paycheck. Her suggestion is to "get out of my comfort zone".
Okay little miss money maker, how does one get out of their comfort zone? I am darn good at my job, I listen to my clients, and I always go the extra mile for them. I don't sell.... I suggest. How does one sell something if nobody is buying?
Her reply was.... Try harder.
HA! This "old dog" has been trying for years. It is a complete and utter failure. I have ventured to trying things just shy of giving it all away for free.
Hmmm... Free. Maybe I need to give away my services for free in order for someone to really offer to give out referrals. My question is... Are people willing to follow through with the promise to get their friends and family in to see me if I give them something for free, or would they take the free services and run? Do I take the chance and give my talents away for free with no guarantees that it will result in getting new clients? Maybe that is what she meant by getting out of my comfort zone. I have to admit, just thinking about doing that is way out of my comfort zone. I guess I just have to try and see, huh?
Wish me luck :)
Yayyyyyyy for thinking outside the box. Just cause it has "always" been done a certain way doesn't mean there are not better ways to do it.
ReplyDeleteGOOOOOOOOOD LUCK!!!! :)