Have you ever noticed that what you listen to and like ties in with your emotional state when it comes to music?
Think about it.... There are so many genres of music ; Rock, pop, techno, punk, country, Christian, classical... the list goes on. Every song out there brings out an emotion and a memory. What we gravitate towards musically is our sub-conscious telling us how we are feeling or the desire to remember moments in our lives.
What song did you play over and over again as a teen when your heart was broken? What song did you absolutely love to listen to because it reminded you of your true love, but suddenly hated when the romance ended? What song did you listen to when you needed a little self-confidence booster when you felt weak?
Our lives consist of ups and downs ; highs and lows. and everything in between. Maybe you never noticed that music plays a role in who we are, but if you really think about it, it does. This just proves that art can move a person and it does not need to be a painting ;)
The young hopeful times as a teen in love would pick a song that was to be "their song". The stories that songs bring, created by the artists that performed them always had a poignant attachment to how you were feeling or what you were experiencing. Sometimes, it was not the words, but the beat, the melody, the awesome squeal of the guitar.
I consider myself to be quite a fan of music. I love it all. I consider myself a person that does not pick a song for the purpose of being "our song" when in a relationship, but I do recall plenty of mood altering upbeat confidence boosting jams being a large part of my life. Looking back, I even recall those sappy, sad, and remorseful break up songs. You know what I mean.... The songs where the words must have been ripped from my head and my heart that was added to music. I was amazed at how the songwriters knew me so well.
Even on my wedding day, the song my husband and I danced to was not one of those "our song" kind-of choices. It was Beautiful Tonight by Eric Clapton. Just a classic song about love, but it really was not about "us" (I don't have long, blonde hair, and I never really knew what my husband thought when he looked at me), we just chose the song because we both liked it. To us, getting married was not about the song we danced to, but to making a commitment to be together for the long haul. I honestly don't think we have an "our song". How sad is that?
I guess the whole idea for this tidbit to think about is really the tie that music has to our psyche.
I can only imagine my attraction to play the song Corner Bar by Uncle Kracker is my way of soothing the frustration that I have feeling raped by the government by the increase in taxes and the economic struggles we all are facing. Well, it can be that or I just want a beer ;)
Well, off to experience the day.
Have a wonderful day everyone! Turn up the radio and see where the music takes you....
Thanks for reading... cya!
music does take me at times. Especially with a beer or several in me. :) I loved the album "The Final Cut" by Pink Floyd. I always wondered why, but you know it was what I listened to when Carolynn and I broke up after H.S. weird. I just thought of that.
ReplyDeleteOur wedding song was "Lady in Red" just cause I like it. :)