Monday, October 19, 2015

Just thinking "out loud"....

I was just recently told that I should be a writer and I decided to take the time to think about just that.... writing a novel.  Of course, I managed to squash that idea rather quickly because I see myself lacking the abilities that actual authors have.  You see, it takes a strong person to write a book, and I am not that strong.  Here is what I mean....

It takes a strong minded person to create a story.  It takes the imagination to create a type of synergy to put words together and build upon a concept.  Adding dialogue and inner thought that does not drive the story in too many directions, but creates a cause and effect for the reader.  

It takes a strong person to own the story.  Good, bad, or indifferent, it takes the ability to accept the criticisms and praise others make of your work.  While I happen to be the most critical when it comes to things I do and say, I am not all that comfortable with accepting praise.  Probably has something to do with being the youngest sibling in my family.  Of course, there is no proof of that theory.  I just always saw myself as lacking when compared to others.

It takes a strong person to focus.  Yep, I said it here.... I know I tend to go on tangents that sway far from the topic at hand.  The effort to get back on topic gets tiring.  Especially, when those little diversions from the topic at hand to have some supporting connection.  As minuscule of a connection it poses... it is just varying degrees of perception.

Last, but not least, is one thing that has absolutely nothing to do with strength....  I lack the drive to write.  Well, I do blog from time to time.  I have opinions.  Heck, there are times I can write a short story, but to have the endurance to create an actual story that is longer than a handful of pages, with proper narrative skills to share a "conversation" between characters, and become something worthy of publication is a real stretch, to say the least.  Heck, I question every word selected and every punctuation mark.  I have read those reviews on Amazon.com.  Some of those reviewers are brutal!  Of course, there are some that make me wonder if they were paid to rave about a certain book, but I digress.  On a side note to this.... I am unsure of what genre I should write because readers are a fickle bunch.  That is, if I decided to take the plunge and write a book.  Doubtful, but the thought is there....

I guess that is why I just can't find the strength to write a book, but I love reading them.

Just recently, I was on a fan/spoiler page for an author that I am not just a fan of, but became a friend in that virtual world.  I have never met the woman, but we became friends.  I have written to her and she has written me back.  Nothing of importance... just some things we find funny.  Well, I posted on her spoiler page my feelings about waiting for her latest book in a series I absolutely love.  This fictional place that she writes about seems so real that I would love to go there to visit.  The characters are so down to Earth, that I could see myself becoming fast friends with them.  For those wondering what series I am talking about, here is the info....  The author is Kathleen Brooks.  She has three series that connected in a small way, but it began with her Bluegrass Undercover series, then there is her Bluegrass Brothers series, and she had a third series that had the small connection of one character, but the series is called The Women of Power series.  Currently, she is continuing the Bluegrass series with stories of the children from the main characters in her previous bluegrass books and the first book is due to be released on October 20th (tomorrow... squee! so excited!).  I felt compelled to flex my writing muscles and gave her a description of how I feel as I wait for the release date to arrive (thus, the mention from someone that I should become a writer)....  So here goes....

"As I wake up to a new day, I look at my calendar, and the feelings I had the day before intensified.  This feeling like a starving dog held on a short leash, being held back from a bowl of food.  As I snarl and claw my way to gain purchase, I have only managed to make it a fraction of an inch closer.  Knowing that once I obtain what I desire, I will devour it in one day, only to be hungry for more.... How sad is that?  Come on October 20th.... I'm starving here!!"

While it is not my best descriptive writing, I felt it was alright at best.  Sadly, that is about as far as I can go when it comes to writing.  Adding that filler that a lot of authors are required to do in order to meet page and word requirements is something I just can seem to master.  I lacked describing the look of the room I was in, the state of my appearance, or anything of sustenance to build upon an actual story to tell.  Well, that and I am not a real proficient in pacing a story line... that build up to the ending.  Some writers are really good at setting the pace of a story.  Some just drag stuff out and then jump to the end.  It could be the writer's doing or it is the editor's way of editing, but believe me.... there is some really bad fictional stories out there.  

Maybe my inability to push myself to even try harder is because I have read some really awful writing and I am afraid I would be one, too?  I do appreciate the accolades given to me by friends freely, but I just can't see myself in their eyes to know if the compliments are real.  Simply put... I am a weak-kneed chicken that believes all my talents combined couldn't fill a teaspoon.  Why waste hours and days creating a story that meets the "circular file" next to an editor's desk, right?

Well, back to finding something to take my mind off this home stretch of waiting for my Kindle to load the book I preordered MONTHS ago.  Tomorrow, I'll be reading that book and enjoying every last word of it.  Then I get to wait months for another one to come out.  Fortunately, I have a handful of authors I love to read.  Here's to hoping those books come out soon, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment