Well, we made it!! It is 2011 and what better way to get things rolling with removing the Christmas decoration and getting some housework done. I would have enjoyed partying like some of my friends, but a hangover makes me pretty useless for the day. Since there is no hangover, I am ready to kick my lazy tush into gear.
I just have to remember to take a little time for myself and take care of.... me.
I decided to make a plan to make some changes in how I do things. When I usually set a goal for myself, I have a tendency to expect achieving the goal in a matter of weeks. If I do not see results, I resort to quitting. When it comes to losing weight, I have probably tried it all with hopes of instant results. With a track record like I have, I need to make my main goal into smaller goals. Make it like a set of stairs. Take things one step at a time. Little changes that become habits.
The cards are definitely stacked against me, but if I take the time to find a reasonable substitution for my weaknesses, I think I can make this work. I know that diets don't work. Being denied things only makes me want them more. I need to understand my body and teach myself moderation with everything I eat and do. I can be a real freak when it comes to doing things. I tend to overdo.
Last year, I started going to the gym. I went from couch potato to free weight freak that went to the gym 5 times a week. After getting injured from overworking myself, I took a break to heal. Sadly, the break I took was 6 months with no real desire to go back. I decided that if I do that again, I will fail in my journey towards my goals. I need to dial back my ability to jump in with both feet like that. I need to build up the endurance and that takes time and achieving small steps first.
Step one in my journey is to start going to the gym again. For the next 4 weeks, I am going to the gym once a week. For the following 8 weeks, I am going to go to the gym twice a week. For the following 12 weeks, I am going to the gym three times a week. I believe that a slow build up to the basic requirement of exercise other than what I do every day will get me into the habit of a lifetime. Who knows, it might happen faster, but I need to make this something for the long haul. It is not about losing weight, but to feel better about myself and to strengthen my back sensibly.
Step one (part two) in my journey is to figure my bad food triggers and figure a sensible substitution. This one is way harder to figure out. I have a knack to crave chocolate and sweets all the time. I figured that yogurt can help curb the sweets craving since Yoplait has yogurt that tastes like the "bad stuff", but at a healthier level. I should know... before making this plan, I actually tried some of their flavors and was really impressed. Also, if you freeze yogurt, it tastes and has the texture of ice cream (another weakness of mine). I just seem to be having the issue with chocolate. There is not fruit, yogurt, or thing that I can think of to substitute my peanut butter cups. My only guess is to buy some mini size candies and freeze them. I can have one if I let it melt in my mouth and I can only hope that one will do. Other than that, I remember the Weight Watchers plan and the daily requirements, so the food choice part will be easy. Portion control and plenty of water will be the basis of what I can call a diet. I will allow myself the occasional bad food like pizza or burgers. I just don't have to eat the whole thing and all the time. I have room for error, but finding better options just might introduce me to something I never tried before and end up liking. I just have to keep reminding myself that.
I think that is a good start and today is the first day. Not sure which day I will hit the gym, but I will be there. I have my work out clothes in plain sight to remind me that I have to go.
Wish me luck. I am not making a daily announcement of what I ate or did when it comes to this journey. I am not stepping on the scale again after today for a month. I am not going to let myself fail my commitment and I am not asking for support from friends. This is my challenge and I will face it alone. If I falter and fall off that wagon, I will get myself back on. I will share my thoughts through blogging. Ready or not... here I go :)
Have a great day and may all your goals be achieved in 2011...
cya :)
Good Luck!! I wish you nothing but success. :)
ReplyDelete