Tuesday, January 11, 2011

So what!

2-4 inches of snow has been predicted and I knew I would be the one shoveling....  sigh.  I figured since snow shoveling is something I really do not mind doing; it is good exercise and it reminds me of my younger days shoveling snow in the neighborhood to earn extra cash.  Sadly, I don't get paid for shoveling my own driveway and sidewalk.

As the snow falls down, I see my neighbors out with their snow blowers, some even hire out to have their driveways plowed, and there is me....  I got my boots on, my winter puffy coat, my trusty red snow shovel and an mp3 player.  Some people collect stamps, some collect coins, I have my collection of snow shovels.  Call me nutty, but there is a certain level of satisfaction in shoveling snow.  We have 2 snow blowers and I know how to use them, but they never get the driveway as clean as I like, so I shovel.  If the snow is too heavy, I might use the snow blower and then follow up with one of my trusty shovels.

I just need to be in my happy place and all in the world seems right.  Listening to music makes everything easier to do.  I can't go to the gym without my iPod, I have the radio or the stereo cranked in my house when I clean, and just the sound of music in the background at work makes the day go by faster.  I know I can go without music playing.  There are times I like the quiet.

Well, as I plod along shoveling snow, I am listening to a compilation of music from the 70's, 80's, and 90's.  Most songs I like, some I love.  I just did not realize how much I love songs from the 70's.  Such sugary sweet lyrics describing such simpler times, some are just befuddling ramblings from drugged out singers/songwriters.  I come across a set of songs that just seemed to move me today.  One was Hooked On A Feeling by Blue Suede.  The beginning with that "ooga-chuck-a" chant just makes me giggle.  Next thing I know, I am dancing and singing along to the song very loudly.  I did not realize that my neighbors with their loud snow blowers noticed me dancing and shoveling.  Apparently, I get quite animated when I am in the zone.  All it took was for them to turn off their snow blowers to hear my rendition of that song.  I even paused to use my shovel as a microphone from time to time.  They were all getting a real good laugh at my expense, but you know what?  I did not care.  I was having fun!!

I guess my point of today's blog is finding that "so what" attitude.  Life cannot always be contained happiness. Grown ups are allowed to be silly.  To sing and dance just because you want to and not care who is watching.  I know that my back will be reminding me that I am no spring chicken, but for a moment, I was a kid again and it felt great!!

Have a glorious day and be sure to make some time to just act like a silly kid again.  So what if people will look at you funny, it is because they are jealous that you are not afraid to let loose :)

1 comment:

  1. I am with you. Whose "Grown up" rules do I need to follow??? none!!! Why not let loose every once in a while.... or every day. :)

    ReplyDelete