Monday, March 7, 2016

The requirement phenomenon....

In life, we all have requirements.  Well, more like expectations, but with these expectations, we are required to remain consistent.  Sure, there are times we can blur the line between expectation and requirement, but to what level has me thinking.  A simple example would be....  Being an adult and acting as one.

Being an adult has always been acknowledged by age, but sadly, not by mentality.  Why is that?  I know some teenagers that are more mature and adult-like than some adults I know.  Is it a personality trait?  Or is this some immature acts just a cry for attention?  I guess society may never know.

The reason for today's blog is because of a situation that I have been dealing with for a while now.  I work in a volatile environment.  Well, I believe everyone does.  Especially when there is more than one person involved.  Varying views of what is right and what is expected, or in this case, required, is where situations can go from bad to worse rather quickly.  It is known that a person can mask their indifference, but when the issue grows out of control, the devastation left behind is truly painful.  Here is my example....

Lets just say that there are at least a half dozen people that have hit their limit of irresponsible behavior.  Each complaint has an underlying childish reaction ranging from... making excuses to not come into work, to making accusations in a gossip like fashion.  Kind-of like creating cliques within the workplace.  Think of the childish behavior in high school hallways being reenacted by a group of people that happen to be seen as adults that have children and some that have grandchildren of their own.  The snubbing, the snide comments made behind the backs of people, the gossip.....  Heck, I understand the reason for these reactions, but when it happens with a group of adults that supposedly were responsible of teaching their children to have better behavior... it makes me wonder if these example setting adults were really being honest with their following generations.

Now, there is supposed to be a meeting of the minds when it comes to seeking a resolution to issues.  Problems are to be presented and a reasonable solution is to be created.  I just fear that when this meeting of the minds hits a brick wall when it appears that the immaturity quotient of the masses refuses to take responsibility of their own actions and places blame on the one person seen as the one in charge, but that one person has all their faith in their constituents that they are of a mature mind and should have resolved this issue without an argument.

Okay, okay, okay..... I tried to share this thought as nondescript as I could, but I feel that this is just missing the mark.  Instead of deleting what I have so far.... I am just going to plug forward in a more direct route.....

My workplace is a ticking time bomb!  Varying views of what is expected vs what is required is one big, HUGE detonator on a very unstable bomb.  The immature behavior of my coworkers in reaction to what is happening at the workplace is absolutely baffling!  Some people complaining that they are not making enough to pay their rent feel it making excuses to not come to work is an acceptable punishment to a business owner that cannot manage the business due to illness and/or injury, while the business owner is placing faith that their employees are mature enough to take responsibility all by themselves.  Others are so greedy that they are poaching clients that did not ask for them and do not care that their behavior is hurting the work environment, but has the ability to lie and deny their behavior. Oh, and the greediest one seems to have a champion in her corner.... the business owner!  Defending someone by believing in the lies is just business suicide!  What I happen to fear, because I am no longer immune to the insanity in the workplace, is that I am being sucked into the vortex with an express lane to the seventh ring of Hell.  Witnessing the greedy one, not once but TWICE, try to poach clients of mine in front of me is pushing me to act immaturely.  Witnessing the childish behavior of coworkers that claim to be not making enough to pay their rent, but can afford to go to concerts and shows, calling in sick on an almost daily basis as well as spread poor attitude when they are there.  The direct snubbing of coworkers with the act of a cold shoulder so cold..... wearing layers becomes mandatory when you come to work when there is more than just one employee present.  Threats of quitting hang heavy in the air, but no action has been taken.  The unprofessional or uncertain behavior of those that try to work within the chaos of an unstable workplace, seeking to find employees that prefer to not come to work when they are needed, to explaining to clients that they are needing to call them back because they cannot book appointments because the person they are seeking is completely unreliable, and the apologies when people are perpetually late for work.  Really, if there has been construction going on in your route to work and that makes you late.... change the route or leave earlier for work.  Sheesh!  This construction traffic has been going on for almost 2 years!  You have had plenty of time to figure how to get to work on time by now, right?  

WOW!  What a load off my chest spilling that out!  Sadly, I feel another wave coming on and I already fear that there is no solution for this one.  Especially, when some of the immaturity ridden people are right.  Without change, there is no progress.  Being constantly forced to conform to less can make an unstable work environment.  But how does an individual present the need for change when there is no budget to accommodate the necessary changes?  Hiring a manager should be a solution to keep the chaos at bay, but since the insanity is affecting the growth to afford change.... it is just another obstacle that cannot be solved within reason.... too high to climb over, too deep to tunnel under, and too wide to go around.  With zero power to push though it.... it concerns me what is going to happen next.

Now what?  No easy solutions.  Only more questions.

Sorry I am not being much help if you feel you are suffering from the same, or similar situation.  The only thing I can say is to never give up.  Challenges, obstacles and setbacks are building blocks to learning and growth.  Failure is really an opportunity to try again.  Success comes from the drive to move forward. And quitting is not exactly always the best option.  Best of luck and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment