Monday, April 25, 2016

Just thinking out loud about..... books I choose to read

As I toasted a bagel for breakfast this morning, I poured myself a glass of sparkling water.  After smearing on a little cream cheese.... okay, a fair amount.... I grabbed my breakfast, my drink of choice, and my ever present companion (my Kindle), and took a seat at the table.  As I looked down at my Kindle and the book I am rereading for probably the fourth time, I had managed to think of an answer to my daughter's question from not so long ago come to the surface.

"Mom, why do you read romance novels?"

At first, I used to blame the Fifty Shades of Grey series.  It was the desire to find something better written since I was on my last nerve if I read the word mercurial one more blasted time.  Sheesh!  You'd think this author would find yet another word for unstable, but alas.... she liked that word enough to where I considered taking a shot of Jack Daniels every time I came across that word.  Kind of like when people watch the State of the Union Address and drink to every time a certain word is said.  Heck, in recent events, I would have chosen the word "the" and enjoyed watching that babble more than I did, but I digress.

But as I thought a little deeper, I would claim that people gravitate towards the one thing that they lack in their lives.  Biographies, Autobiographies, and Non-Fiction of the like could easily say that they have a strong desire to learn more.  Comedies are for those that need a little more laughter in their lives, and fans of fiction feel the need for an escape.

I was a self-proclaimed mystery and science fiction fanatic for years.  With authors like Stephen King, John Saul, and James Patterson lined up on my shelf.  I have read books by Dan Brown, Harlan Coben, and Jodi Picoult. Of course, the one book I read from Jodi Picoult (My Sister's Keeper), had me not pick up another one of her books.  I'll admit that the book was well written, but the emotions that resulted from what I read were a little much for me.  Dan Brown writes in a way that it feels like Non-Fiction, but definitely had me using Google a little much for my liking.

Since the arrival of my Kindle, the only books I keep in my house, actual books made of paper, that is, is the full series of Harry Potter books.  Yep, read them all and I do not care that these are considered books for kids to read.  Heck, I have all the DVDs to the movies, too.  I am a Harry Potter nerd ;)

Speaking of my Kindle and all the books that reside in there, I can say that out of, I don't know exactly, a hundred books or so.... just about every one of them are in the genre of romance.  Some good... some not so good.  Most I found for free, but purchased some from authors I really like.  I even have a couple of books written by friends of mine.  One is a Historical Romance and the other is a Mystery.  I am so proud of those friends of mine that have the talent and the drive to write an actual book.  I can read like a maniac, but I lack the traits to actually write a novel.

Now, here is the part that I get to explain my reasons for gravitating towards the genre of women's fiction/romance novels.

After a few bites of that bagel this morning, I realized that I read what I read because I do happen to lack those "warm fuzzies" a person gets from reading romance novels.  I like reading about how a person not feeling confident, become confident with a few kind words.  That journey to realization that happiness is in reach is what draws me in.  Yep, you read it here.... I lack the warm fuzzies!

My favorite authors in this genre are Kathleen Brooks, Jill Shalvis, Melanie Shawn, Susan Andersen, Kristan Higgins, and Jennifer Crusie.  Each author gives a little something that I would like to have in their writing.... small town charm, wit, humor, manners, respect, sensitivity, heart, and happy endings.  
Sure, it sounds sappy sharing these thoughts, but I have a life that lacks balance.  I have a tendency to go to extremes.... in everything.  When on a diet, I become very literal in the directions and refuse to step into those allowed gray areas like cheat days.  When I do... they turn into cheat months.  A quick cleaning of a room results in taking everything apart and meticulous scrutinizing of how it should look.  Sadly, that creates chaos in my closets when I have no clue where something should belong. And when it comes to relationships.... I end up being even more extreme.  If there is a trait I don't like, I switch gears and really focus on what I think will be acceptable.  While I have dated some quite romantic men in my life.... I focused on (and married) the least romantic person that has a wicked sense of humor because most of those romantic ones carried a large bag of insecurity with them ranging from control freak to clueless clinger.  A couple of them had a mean streak that concerned me and basically all of them lacked a sense of humor.  Sure, they had a few funny moments here and there, but they really lacked the ability to just laugh.  What I should have focused on is a person that was more balanced.  A person that has passion, but can be happy just being.  Oh, and one that is able to help out with housework wouldn't hurt, either.

Well, I can't really complain all that much because there are times that DH can be sweet.  In a recent purge of a room that I have been neglecting since I am at work more than I am not, I found a little note from him that I am planning on keeping... forever.  Not exactly sure when this was written and not exactly sure what he gave with the note (probably one of the two times he gave me flowers), but I guess I did alright with my choice.  Especially when I look at this note when he decides to be a thorn in my side to remind myself that even in extremes.... there is a little something that balances things out.  So.... in closing.... here is what that note said....

Hi.
I know your going thru tough times right now, and I'm not always there for you but I hope this will bring a little sunshine to your day.  
Love,
(DH)

Thanks for reading and have a great day!  May you find that something to balance your day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment