Tuesday, December 18, 2012

He just does not get it!!!!!

With Christmas around the corner, literally, I finally finished the gift shopping.  Everything is wrapped, placed in their respective stocking, and the final gift mailed out last night...  I felt the weight of the world off my shoulders.  It was a wonderful feeling until DH confronts me about the one gift under the tree that happens to have his name on it.

Apparently, he is not all that happy that I took the time to buy him a gift......

With this knowledge, he proceeds to tell me that he has no clue what to get me now because he thought we were not going to exchange gifts this year.  Apparently, he feels that it is a mandatory thing to buy a gift for a person because they got him one.  Really, since when does Christmas have a mandatory gift requirement?

As I tried to explain to a very frustrated DH that what I got him was not to be seen as a big deal.  I got him something because I wanted to.  I think about him quite often, regardless of the very little he may think of me.  My assumption about how much he thinks of me is by his actions.  I know he puts in long hours at work to bring home his earnings to support this family we happen to have together.  We really do not have a lot of extra money to spend on frivolous things, like gifts, but we can manage something small if we really wanted to....  just to let a person know that you are thinking of them.  Heck, I know he would rather put that money spent on a gift in our savings account or in DD's little college nest egg.  Sure, we could think of many other things we can do with the money, but has it really come to the point that we should not think of each other once in a while and do something about it?

I don't know...  I thought I explained myself pretty well when I told him I really did not think it was necessary to hand me the checkbook and tell me to go and get myself something for Christmas, but he insisted.  Apparently, his reasoning for relinquishing the one thing I have seen him hold so tight that I have no doubt moths will fly out of it, is truly rational thought.  He told me that he would look like the bad guy if I got nothing when I got him something for Christmas.  Really?????  I do not see it that way.  If he really wanted to know what could make him really look like the bad guy... he needs to look back over this past year....

Birthdays past with no thoughtful notion except a pack on the cheek and a "happy birthday" mentioned as he runs out the door to go to work, no anniversary cards that shares a loving thought about me for our anniversary, no simple little notion I am loved on paper for Valentines Day or Sweetest Day (even though we do agree that those are just Hallmark holidays), and no offering to cook for one measly day that is called Mother's Day so I can get a break....  Nope, not one little thing I can place in a box of memories that I can go back to and remember that he thinks of me.  After 14 years of marriage, he still has not figured me out!!  It is not the gift or the cost of it, but the thought behind it!!!  And now he thinks he is the bad guy for not getting me a Christmas gift?  I swear!  He can really be a moron!!!

All the while, I have done at least something throughout the year for him.  I have bought cards that shared loving feelings for Valentines Day and our anniversary (I did skip Sweetest Day because I still think it lacks the necessary thought), I got him a birthday gift (for which I offered early because I wanted to), I cooked his favorite meal on Father's Day (which is no surprise, really, since I do all the cooking anyway), and I got him a Christmas gift that just happens to be something he really needed (a new iced tea maker since the one he has is on its last leg).  Really, being thoughtful does not require breaking the bank over it.... just the notion that you are thought of.

Okay, I realized he did one thing this past year and obviously he did it as an afterthought....  He tried to sneak a bag of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in the shopping cart to give to me for Valentines Day.  Not exactly a romantic thought or act to surprise me, but he at least tried, right?  Sadly, he never realized that I have been on a perpetual diet and was trying to avoid the chocolates (especially in a large quantity like that). Even more sadly, I turn to chocolate more and more because I don't feel appreciated and that is my downfall to my weight issue.  Emotional eating is a bad thing...

Well, in order to avoid getting the wrath of Mr. Crabby Pants, I am venturing out with the checkbook to get a few things that I have needed for a while...  I am almost out of shower gel, I want to pick up some new underwear and socks (since mine are falling apart), a candle or two since my candles are just about burnt out, and a new bra for DD (since she is currently stealing my sports bras for her own, but that trip will require to have her with me to get it....  I am not going to guess her size).  Ho Ho Hum...  Merry Christmas everyone!  That is... if the Mayan Calendar is wrong.  If it is right (of which I am seriously doubting that it is right)... I will at least go out with socks that do not have holes and underwear that is not thread-barren.

Thanks for reading.....  Have a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment