Sunday, June 2, 2013

Going to the source.... Part 3 (probably most informative of the bunch)

Well, after some much research, I learned that there is a gray area that both Dentists and Doctors have.  Call it the Achilles Heel to both professions and is basically the one thing that people see as a "grasping at straws" prognosis....  Sadly, this does not bode well for anyone that is in this situation, but it is something to consider and will probably get quite costly.

Did you know....

That when it comes to sinuses and teeth, there is a connection?

A sinus infection can present a painful feeling to the teeth and gums on the upper part of the mouth.  It can happen on one side, both sides, or even in some semi-rare cases....  the whole top section of your mouth.

After doing far more research via the internet.... I know, I know...  not all information is the solid truth, but as the saying goes....  there are 3 sides to the truth...  The two points of view and in the middle the connection to formulating the truth.  Kind-of like a he said, she said scenario.  He says the story one way, she says it another, and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

What I did find was a fair number of common situations that definitely point to one thing....  The nearness of the sinus cavity to the teeth roots are so close that one can be mistaken for the other.  Fortunately, most dentists that see nothing wrong via x-ray usually suggest either a visit to your doctor or they will send you off with a prescription of an antibiotic with a follow up visit in a week.

Sadly, that was not the case for me.  I happened to have a couple of cavities that were found via x-ray and no thought of connection to sinus issues.  I even recall telling the dentist that I found it interesting that this agonizing pain always happens during allergy season or cold season for me.  I have noticed far more sinus infections in my life and I know in the pit of my stomach.... I will have more in the future.  How do I know?  I saw an ear, nose and throat specialist once.  After getting a scan and a scope through my nose....  I apparently have broken my nose some years back and it was not noticeable on the exterior view to think it was broken.  Well, technically, it is a deviation in the cartilage.  This deviation created a small pocket that can bring on sinus infections faster than you can say the word, "sinus infection".  Allergies and colds always result in sinus infections for me.  I just never see it coming in order to prevent it.

With the sinuses and teeth roots in such close proximity....  it is feasible to say that what you may be experiencing is a toothache, could quite possibly be a  sinus issue.  Being people that turn to where the pain originates from (meaning where we feel it most), will have us turn to the specialist that will tend to that pain, but never consider the complexities of nerve endings that intertwine with other areas that are in close proximity.

I am feeling more and more confident that this is my situation and after researching the antibiotic that the doctor prescribed to me being a broad spectrum antibiotic that is used for various forms of infection.... I truly think that in a few more days and a few more doses... I will feel right as rain again.  Yipee-skippy!!

Of course, with any findings upon my situation... I may not be 100% accurate and what happens (or happened) to me may be completely different than what happens to another.  All I can say is....

Whenever in doubt....  check out all possible scenarios from all across the board.  My sinus headache from my allergies has been nagging me for weeks, but it became more prominent after getting my teeth worked on.  My initial assumption was the soreness of having teeth drilled that made me uncomfortable, but all other tooth care situations never had a recovery process drag out for as long as these last two have been.  That is where I had the drive to research more into all possible pain-causing scenarios that could quite possibly be categorized as a gray area scenario.  Never hurts to seek for second opinions, or third opinions before committing to one conclusion.  What one does not see could be seen by another.

Wish me luck that this recent finding and recent course of antibiotics will be the answer to my prayers for the past few days or so.

Oh, BTW.... the swollen spot on my cheek started going down today.  Chances are the antibiotic is doing it's thing.  Would be nice that it did not have to take 24 hours to show improvement somewhere, but I am optimistic that I am getting better.... slow, but sure.

Thanks for reading and if I have more information or an update on my healing process.... you will see it in future blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment