Sunday, June 2, 2013

Going to the source.... part 2

Well, I gave myself a couple of days time to amass what part 2 is going to share... and trust me.... it almost feels as if there is serious doubt about "the source's knowledge".  Now, I am not complaining about my dentist in any way because he really does good by me.  He is a really nice fellow that does care.  His chair-side manner is basically perfect.  He does all his talking that requires answers before he starts work and only asks the few "How are ya doin'", from time to time.  We have a system and I rarely ever complain.

As I stated earlier in my previous blog.... I made a point to see my dentist about this weird circle of swollen-ness on my left cheek.  It was not there before seeing the dentist, but it sure as heck arrived after.  I was thinking that it could possibly be an allergic reaction to the Novocaine since I do recall a shot being done in that area inside my mouth to treat a tooth right where this swollen area was as well as the tooth just below it. I never had one before and fully understand that people can become allergic to things they weren't before after multiple exposures to it....  not everything, but some things can do just that.

I recall being able to add nail enhancements (you know create acrylic nails, gel overlays, and stuff like that) for years.  That is, until I became sensitive to the stuff.  I broke out in a serious rash that would blister within 5-10 minutes of exposure.  It is called "contact dermatitis" and once you have it....  you have it for life.  I can never do nail enhancements ever again.  I am okay with it, though, because I wanted to focus more on the hair aspect than the nail aspect.

Well, onward... shall we?  Good.

After seeing the dentist to assess the situation, I got the usual poke, prod, and question scenario.  The usual tenderness after getting a couple of teeth drilled still present and accounted for, but otherwise, no other outbreaks of a rash on the interior of my mouth, so....  it is highly likely that I am allergic to the Novocaine, but my dentist suggested to side on the err of caution and take some Benadryl for a few days to see if the swollen circle on my left cheek goes away.  If not....  I was advised to see a dermatologist or my regular doctor for further inspection.

I went home with this information and got ready for work... Prom season, you know.  Took the Benadryl after work since I prefer to be alert while working on people's hair and makeup and passed out early that evening.  I woke up with some severe pain in a totally different area.... and trust me.... that area is a TMI place to speak of, but lets just say it is a real pain in the rear.

Of course, it would be my luck that I have to hurt in yet another place on my body.  Between my mouth and my backside being in agony, I yet again got ready for work.  I took my Advil as suggested for the mouth tenderness and raced off to the local pharmacy for something to help with the new invasion of pain.  Wincing and whining in agony, I go to work, plaster a smile on my face and proceed with my day.  The pain was immense (my backside, that is), and the concern over the swollen circle on my left cheek as well as my tooth and gum pain still taking up most of my thoughts because there is more of the swollen area and the tenderness is even more so.  My boss cleared out some time in my appointment book and told me to go to one of those emergency treatment centers that used to be open 24 hours a day/7 days a week, but now have actual hours of operation and are no longer 24 hours a day open for business.

Needless to say.... She did not have to ask me twice and I bolted off to see a doctor.  After a "head to tail" look over, I was given a prescription of an antibiotic and instructions to see my regular doctor in a few days for a follow up.  Even this doctor was not sure what it was on my cheek, but decided since I had a low grade fever, aches and pains, as well as all signs pointing to an infection going on....an antibiotic was the next best choice.  Oh, and to sit in a bathtub because my backside was swollen and the warm heat would do wonders for the pain I had going on down there.

Well, it has been 3 days (including the day of seeing the dentist) and the start of day #4 in the hopeful healing process of only God knows what that is going on with me.  Here is my update on how I am doing... if you are truly interested in knowing.....

I am still tender in my mouth, but it is a little less.  I can only guess that it will take another week to heal from yet another double-tooth-treated-with-fillings-trauma and no longer wince when I try to chew.  The swollen circle on my left cheek is still there, but it is a little less prominent.  The hot soaks in the bathtub for another area of pain on me has been successful and it no longer hurts to sit, stand, lay down, and walk.  Well, it is not 100% better, but the level of discomfort is at a more tolerable level.  I will continue with the antibiotics that the doctor prescribed because he mentioned that it would help in every place that hurts and it is possible that the pain is infection related, so I will be taking the required dose for day #2 of 10 today.  I still have my seasonal allergies going on, so I will return to my usual allergy medicine of Zyrtec later today.  The Advil that I have been taking will continue for a few more days since I am still tender in my mouth, but getting a little better each day.

I did open a new bag of worms by questioning why there is mouth pain after the visit to the dentist and I have a few questions of my own, but I will share my thoughts on that subject another time with the third and final installment of "Going to the source... part 3", as well as information I have gathered along this journey.

I do have to give credit to God and the power of prayer because I prayed heavily last night for some relief and I am feeling a bit better today, so..... Thank You God for listening in my time of need.  You obviously knew that the tears from my eyes and the strain in my voice was real and answered rather quickly.... I really appreciate that.

Thanks for reading... have a nice day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment