Friday, September 13, 2013

A pinch of this and too much of that....

Good morning!  Just a quick blog to get the day rolling...

Well, lets see...  Since my last blog, my life has been pretty uneventful and eventful in the same breath.  I have been called in to the salon to take care of a few clients that could not make it in on my usual day that I commit to.... Saturday.  I have hit the pinnacle of what my best friend warned me about...  My hobbies are catching up with me.  Between the hours of my day, I fit in reading, bead work, and feverishly waiting for the new season of Castle by watching all of the reruns on TV via "on demand" through my cable provider.  Sure, I fit in some cleaning and I have been thoroughly committed to cooking for my picky eating family (since they don't cook and would starve if I stopped cooking for them..LOL).  I was supposed to start a new diet that has been around for a while and proven effective to some people.  The only reason I am trying this diet is because it is the only one I have not tried out of the countless ones that seemed to have failed me.  Of course, I had to try to start this plan at the worst possible time and with the worst possible situation to deal with.  Picture this....  A holiday weekend with the whole family home and their picky demands dictate we need to eat what is NOT on the required foods list.  Yep, it's looking like its never gonna happen here.  In fact, it has not happened and the holiday weekend is long past.

I did learn something recently and I am not all that thrilled about it when it comes to feeding my family.  One person's diet restrictions are not good for all.  DH is on a low sodium diet because he needs his blood pressure controlled.  Well, low sodium diets are not good for a healthy teenager since she already has low blood pressure to begin with.  In fact, at a recent visit to see the doctor about these recent "dizzy spells" that DD has been having, I learned that what I am feeding DH is not benefiting DD in any way.  Of course, DH's diet restrictions don't affect me either way, but trying to make healthy meals out of his choice of consumable foods is not helping my waistline one bit according to this new diet plan I wanted to try.  I have tried to just get back on the "salad train" and I am just not feeling all that motivated to eat like a rabbit.  I know my portion control is in check.  In fact, I think I am under-eating if that is remotely possible.  Feeling like I am drowning internally with all that water I am drinking and there is still no change on the scale.  Maybe I am going through the beginning stages of menopause since weight gain in inevitable anyway.  Just not pleased about that one bit, I tell you.

I did get a compliment from a friend that I look just fine the way I am, but really.... a friend will say anything mood-lifting because that is what friends do.  It would be nice to know from a stranger, but fishing for compliments from a stranger is creepy, so I will just accept the compliment and still not believe in it.

Oh, the whole diet thing I have mentioned?  I apologize for sharing that.  I wanted to avoid sharing my personal little hell in the battle of the bulge here.  Of course, DD is suffering the ailment that all women suffer....  Attaining the "ideal" physique.  And what I mean by "ideal" is what is shared after being "photoshopped" in magazines.  Sure, it is nice to see perfection, but the drive to attain it because we all know that is what people prefer to see is another thing in itself.  In fact, I have seen the creature it creates.  It has green eyes of jealousy and black heart.  I should know....  I look at it in the mirror every morning.  In the pictures that I have seen of me... I see the broken person that I have become because of it.  With all of the effort I put in to DD's life, I cannot seem to compete with media outlets.

I also need to apologize for the menopause comment.  Really, who needs to hear about something that happens to all women anyway and the personal hell we go through.  Sure, the story of hot flashes might be hilarious, but everything else is just misery intensified.

Now, the whole issue with my hobbies taking over my life....  I have a few hobbies I turn to in order to escape the stress of the day.  I read way too much these days, but at least the feverish pace of a book a day has gone down a little.  I now savor it for a few days.  I do some things with beads.  I have made many necklaces, earrings and bracelets over the past few years or so.  It started off as simple stuff and now I am working with beads so small that even with my glasses on, I barely see the hole in which to string them.  Maybe I will post some pictures in the future of that, once I find my camera again, that is.  Then there is my painting on glass habit.  Usually, in the fall I start that hobby.  Hand-painted glass ornaments are what I do a lot of these days.  I used to paint on glasses and vases, but it is cheaper to buy a box of glass ornaments from the hobby store and it keeps me busy for about an hour or two for a box.  Then, I even grasped onto yet another old hobby and I have tons of yarn in my home to prove it.... I have been crocheting again.  Yep, another habit I pull out in the fall and work on that until my hands cramp up.  I have crocheted hats, scarves and I am working on a blanket, too.  I learned some of my crocheting abilities on YouTube and chances are I will be back to maybe finishing that blanket this year.  Of course, I chose a pattern that takes roughly triple the amount of yarn to make it and I am not even half-way done.  I hope I finish it this year.

While it is great to have a creative outlet, it is not that healthy when that creative outlet takes over most of my day.  I guess that when I was told that I am an "all or nothing" personality....  they were right.  Thinking about it now.... I am one that never gives up much.  While DH can drive me absolutely batty, I keep trying to make things better.  While DD is stubborn, I am relentless in keeping her in check.  When it comes to a diet, I am either all in and following the instructions to a "T", or I am so off the diet wagon that I do deserve those pitiful looks heavy people get in public.  Even with my hobbies....  I am either bordering a one-person factory or I am not finishing what I started.  Yep, just an average person that happens to have the symptoms of ADD, OCD, ADHD and whatever crazed disorder there is, but completely normal at the same time.

Oh well, time to get this day going.  I have a pair of earrings I need to finish, fix a key chain for a co-worker, some laundry to do, a bit of cleaning in the house to attend to, and fit in a few chapters of this new book I got on my Kindle.  Then I have 2 meals to prepare today since I made the mistake of using the fast to make stuff when I was at the hair show this past weekend and since I have to work tomorrow... I need a quick meal to make for after work so DH does not pull out his exceptional whining abilities of starving to death when I get home.  Yep, just another day in the life of a person that chooses to do too much.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment