Friday, September 27, 2013

Clearly, I need an intervention.....

Okay, I know that I happen to go through stages of extremes like a food jag to a small child.  These hobbies I happen to have are seriously getting out of hand!!  Lets begin at the beginning... shall we?

I remember the saying, "idle minds and idle hands are the main ingredient to chaos not welcome".  Okay, you probably never heard that saying exactly, but you get the idea, right?  As like an ex-smoker turning to food because of the hand-to-mouth reflex, we seem to find something to take place of something else.  For me?  These hobbies stave off boredom, frustration, and stress.  Trust me... if I was left in a room with nothing to keep my hands and mind entertained... I would probably go batty!

My hobbies started off as innocent things.  Years ago, I taught myself how to paint on glass to fill the hours/days DH was away on his fishing trips each year.  I did that so apparently well that people wanted to buy what I managed to paint.  I did a few years on the craft sale/fundraiser front and started to hate painting on glass when the demand got too high.  In order to curb my glass painting issue, I took up jewelry making for a while.  Nothing real Earth-shattering, just a few necklaces and bracelets and some simple earrings.  Of course, my tastes in materials was a bit expensive and I just lacked the patience to go beyond the simple stuff, so stopping for a while was easy.  Then, I went into a crocheting frenzy when I learned how to crochet a hat.  I still have the hats to prove I was becoming a fan of yarn a little too much.  Then, the interest in books and reading took center stage for a second round.  I was an avid reader in my 20's and early 30's, but I was genre-stuck and there are really only so many mysteries/suspense/sci-fi books my mind could take.  Suddenly, I became a rabid fan of romance novels and that scared me to no end!  I swore I would never read that sappy trash, but I fell victim to the happily ever afters and I am still hooked!  Fortunately, my feverish pace of reading a book in a day was slowed down considerably, but I discovered, or better yet rediscovered an old hobby and it is truly getting out of hand!  It is called jewelry making/beads.  I seriously have a beading addiction!!  I have taken classes on working with the one type of beads I swore I would never work with....  seed beads!  Heck, the size I am using is considered the smallest out there (size 15) and the results are impressive!  They are wearable works of art!!  People are wanting me to sell my stuff again!  Over the past month, I have made roughly 30 pairs of earrings, a few necklaces and beaded charms galore!  My dining room table is covered in beads and projects.  I go to the bead store and/or the craft store at least twice a week to buy more beads, thread and crystals.  My eyesight is shot and I rarely step away from a project.  Everything I have made, people want one, too and I have obliged in making them one.  I think my mom has one of everything I have managed to make so far and even she is feeling the pinch in the pocketbook.  Every item I have made is something I will proudly wear and I am not sure if I could sell any of it, but I think DH is nearing the point of telling me to do just that!  I have far too much wearable art for one person.  EEK!

Of course, the season is changing and I will get back to crocheting again.  I have an afghan that I did not finish yet.  It takes a lot of yarn to make and I am not even half way done and I have gone through 9 skeins of yarn.  Trust me when I say this....  it is thick, fluffy and extremely warm.

Sadly, I could not share pictures of the extreme need of this intervention because I cannot find my camera, but if I did.....  You would be preparing the padded room for me as you read this.

I will say this, though.....  With all these hobbies I happen to have....  I feel quite calm while everything else is crumbling around me.  I guess that is an upside to everything, right?

Thanks for reading and have a great day!  As for me.... I have a few more little beading projects to finish and then I have a new book to read as well as getting my crocheting projects in order for this fall.  Yep, I definitely need an intervention, but I seem to be in my "happy place" when I am immersed in the crafting world....

No comments:

Post a Comment