Thursday, February 5, 2015

Why I don't do well selling things I have made.....

Howdy!  Just a quick blog entry about what has been going on over these past few weeks.....

Lets see....  lets start with why today's entry is having this title, shall we?  Great.

I received a call from big brother about an opportunity to sell some of my stress-reducing crafts in beads, or better categorized... bead woven jewelry.  You see, I have these go-to hobbies to keep a level head, and I have had a couple over these past 18 years or so.  It all started with DH's annual "fishing trips".  Really, these fishing trips were just a weekend with the guys to get hammered and not deal with their nagging spouses/girlfriends... not one fish was ever brought home, but they certainly did come home with a sunburn and a raging hangover.  Not all that sure if their livers were thanking them, but they do manage to relax and have some fun.

My first hobby was painting glass.  I went to the local hobby store and got a starter kit with brushes and a few instructional books to learn this craft.  With a fair amount of patience and a lot of swearing, I was able to make some really nice stuff.  I painted on glassware, vases, and even some glass ornaments.  Well, one year, while DD was in preschool, I donated some painted glass for a fundraiser for the school and it snowballed into becoming a participant as a local artist in their fundraiser/craft fair.  Well, let me tell you this.... I was one glass painting maniac for a solid month to get ready for this thing, but I only had a limited number of things to sell and offered to take orders if a person wanted to purchase something I already sold.  BIG MISTAKE on my part because I went home after 3 hours with nothing to take home and at least a dozen orders to fill.  Took me another solid 4 weeks to fill the orders because the glassware I needed was in limited supply.  Once I finished filling those orders... I thought that was it, but NO...  I was asked to do this venue for another 2 years and one open house show for the event planner.  Needless to say.... I was all painted out and decided to take on a different hobby.

That was when I took an interest in beaded jewelry.  It started off simple... just stringing beads on wire.  Expensive, but fun.  After about a year or so of simple stringing, I learned hand-knotting pearls, and then a little wire wrapping.  It was the day I saw some of the most beautiful, detailed works in bead weaving and bead embroidery, that I took my simple, yet expensive hobby to a new level.  I took classes, invested in materials, and found peace in making some really pretty stuff I could wear, and it did not take up as much space as painted glass did.  Of course, with all this knowledge, I became the go-to girl for fixing broken jewelry of friends and co-workers.  I made a little money selling a few things I have made and was told I should join the masses that sell on Etsy or join the craft fair circuit.  I just never thought I had enough for either since everything I have made either became a gift or was bought from me before I could amass enough to do a showing.  Heck, most of what I made I kept for myself.  My mom kept me knee deep in requests for things and she at least supplied me with the materials to make it.  The few things I did make for sale were for a co-worker that loved what I made and wanted it in a certain color, a certain style variation, and did pay me for the work, that is, once I made it to her specifications.  I still have an almost finished pair of earrings made with the smallest seed beads I have worked with (size  15/0, and believe me... these are really small beads... like stringing dust) and had to scrap that pair to start over because the color of the crystal was not deep enough.  I kept those unfinished earrings unfinished as a reminder that I just cannot do special orders for picky people.... I would definitely lose my mind ;)

Well, with that history put out there, I am now faced with the challenge of selling stuff I make.... AGAIN.  Big brother mentioned to a person hosting an upcoming event that I make beaded jewelry and I also paint glass.  Needless to say.... they were interested in having me join this event.  Gotta just love my big brother.  He was looking out for me to find a way to make some money with what I made.  I really do appreciate it, but when I agreed to do this venue... I quickly realized that I did not have enough stuff to actually sell and decided that the next 3 weeks were going to be dedicated to making beaded items (earrings, necklaces, bracelets).  Yep, for 2 solid weeks, I spent all my free time hovered over beads, making stuff to sell, totally forgetting that big brother also mentioned that I will be selling painted glass at this venue, too.  I remembered last night checking out the venue information on Facebook and turned pale at the mention that I will be also selling painted glass.  Yep, not all that confident that I made enough beaded works and found out that I have absolutely NOTHING in painted glass (I sold it or gave it all away years ago).

Racing frantically against the constant ticking of the clock and with less than a week to be prepared....  I went shopping for some glassware and found a few things I never got to painting and started painting it all.  Well, that is, after getting more paint and supplies since DD has misplaced all of my painting supplies.  Once I at least finish what I have planned to make... I have to go through the daunting task of pricing all this stuff to sell and that is where I will second guess myself and probably either sell my soul or sell nothing.  I know what I value what I have made, I know how much I have invested in making these things, but it is the potential buyer that will decide if I am worth the prices I am charging.  Sadly, people are afraid of what I charge for the bead work I do.  I will try to be reasonable about it, but I have heard too many oohs and aahs with the mention of, "that is a little out of my price range for something like this".  The nice person that I am will try to explain the investment and the time to make these things, but how can I compete with discount stores selling plastic knock-offs of what I make?  Oh, and it has been YEARS since I have been selling hand-painted glass and I am not even sure of the price market for that kind of thing.  Yep... feeling a stress headache coming on and worrying about supply, demand, and if it will all sell (or not).

I will say this..... what I will be selling is all that I have and I will not be available for special orders because I am feeling like a factory of one and I am taking a much needed break after this event is over.

Well, time is still ticking and I have less than a week to be ready and I am nowhere near ready.  Thanks for reading and have a great day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment