Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lemons into lemonade (or something like it).....

Morning!  Just a quick blog, I hope, and then off to do more stuff around my home...

A recent call from someone reminded me that I have a different outlook on what happens to me when it comes to DH.  You see, I believe that DH has the tendency to put me really low on his list of cherished things.  Not saying that I am a thing, but in the grand scheme of things.. I am when it comes to the "to do list" of life.  Ever see the movie Ferris Buehler's day off?  Remember Ferris' BFF Cameron?   Well, Cam's dad placed such high regard to that car of his over his family.  Well, I have that similarity here.  DH has a classic VW Beetle that he cherishes.  I know the story behind his attachment and I will share the Cliffs Notes of it....

DH's fist car was a VW Beetle.  He bought a fix-er-upper before he even got his drivers license.  His desire to become a mechanic was because of that car.  He restored that car by himself.  Now, since he no longer owns his first car, he got the opportunity to buy the one his father owned which is the one he has now.  DH sold everything he could and borrowed against what he did not have to put in his share of opening his own  garage.  Being broke gave him the drive to succeed and the reward for his efforts was purchasing his father's 1979 VW Beetle.  That little convertible car is his "baby" and is treated as such.  It never sees the rain and it never is driven in the snow.  I feel that this car is more important than me... just like Cam in the movie.  Since I do not drive stick, he is assured that I would never take that thing out for a joyride.

The recent events of DH taking a fishing trip with his buddies became the topic of discussion by people that I know love me dearly and feel that his willingness of taking a vacation without his wife and daughter is a cause for concern.  I see quite the opposite.  You see, this is a chance for DD and I to finally do some things that would be frowned upon in the glorious existence of DH...  Sleepovers and fun.  Well, the fun part, I doubt he really has a problem with, but has zero interest in the planning or running of a party.  The weekends I work consist of DH and DD having "quality" time together.  Usually, they just stay home and go nowhere.  Between the needed naps from his week of long days at work, he manages to do something like mow the lawn when it is warm out or shovel the snow when it is winter time.  His picky eating and limited cooking abilities offer the same scrambled eggs and buttered noodles every Saturday.  Basically, a version of Groundhog Day in my home and DH is not really Bill Murray with trying anything new to break the repetitive nature of the day.  At least while he is off with his buddies getting a sunburn and coming home with a nasty hangover, I can create some fun for DD and myself with a sleepover for her and a BBQ for me.

Never really blessed with having many birthday parties since summer is when families take vacations.  And how can one compare cake and ice cream to the carnivals, the pools and the fireworks anyway?  I had options back then.... Have a bust of a party or get something I really wanted from my mom and dad.  Money was tight for them, so I opted for a small something I really wanted and tried to keep the cost down.  I was a reasonable kid (my mom would argue this fact), but I had a knack to always think of others first.  Well, my birthday lost its luster quite some time ago when I spent it at a funeral of a friend, so I rarely make a big deal about it anyway.  Now, this BBQ I am having is not for my birthday, but something I have wanted to do for quite some time.  I used to have a BBQ every year (usually around the 4th of July), but money got tight.  The putting in of extra hours at the salon got me the idea of having a BBQ again.  I have saved up every penny I could and the day is almost here.  DH leaves for his fishing trip, DD and I have the house to ourselves and our planned fun is to begin.  So what people see as a smackdown, I turned it around into something not so hurtful.  Now, just noticing that there is a chance for rain to happen on the day of my BBQ has caused me great concern.  I just have to figure out how to make that lemon into lemonade if it does rain.  Renting the moonwalk does not offer refunds because of rain and I am not sure I can eat burgers, brats, and hot dogs 3 times a day for a month.

I just need to remain positive that it will all work itself out.  That the forces that be take away the chance of rain, that this BBQ goes off without a hitch, and that I can finally have a little fun with my friends.  Stay tuned to see if this suburban wife that always gets the short end of the stick gets a break for once :)

No comments:

Post a Comment