Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Ya know you are getting old when.....

As I woke up this morning, I realized that in 10 days (after today, of course), I am going to be a year older.  Now, I do not place really high regard to getting older, in fact, I want to be younger (wink, wink... nudge, nudge).  I actually miss the days when I was totally fearless and pain free.

Getting older does have its perks, but once you hit the ripe age of 21... it seems as if life takes a really fast existence of its own.  I remember being a young kid that was so anxious to turn 16 and get my drivers license.  Just having the freedom to go wherever you want... whenever you want.  Yep, turning 16 was a big point in my life, but it came with a price.  My family was not wealthy and to own a car takes money.  I was allowed to have my Mom's old car when she got a newer one, but I had to pay for the insurance, the repairs, and the gas.  In order to do that... I had to get a job.  Working kind of puts a big damper on the whole go wherever and whenever you want to concept.  Basically, I got from point "A" to point "B" and those points consisted of work and home.  There was never enough hours in the day for me.  Between going to high school, I also went to beauty school and I also worked a part time job.  By the time I got all the important stuff done, I was spent.  I knew I needed more time, so I figured that after I graduate high school, all I would have to do is go to work and then I was free to do whatever I wanted....  HA!  That aspect changes once you go from part time work right into full time work.  I knew I was young and I had time to find my balance.

The desire to hit 21 was raging in my mind.  Being the youngest of 4, there is a strong tendency to be just like your older siblings.  Just there was a lack of patience to get there because I thought that going to the bar was going to be the highlight of my life... HA!  That 21st birthday came (and went).  I did hit the bars back then.  Just did not realize that the thrill would die so quickly.  Oh, don't get me wrong...  I don't mind having a drink or two with friends, but there were a few times I ended up learning about moderation the hard way.  There are still some things I will never drink ever again.  Meeting "The Porcelain 'God'" was not one of my high points of living life.  Still, I managed to have a spring in my step that youth is still on my side.  Sadly, once the 20's and 30's passed, age has a funny way of sneaking up on you.

I swear, when I turned 40, it was like I was smacked with the old age stick.  Bones started creaking, strange sounds were being made whenever I bent over to pick something up off the floor, the free spirited risk taker left the building and now I figure the risks before taking that leap.  I now deal with graying hair, back aches, sleep issues and stress.  I never signed up for this, but here it is....

Somehow, with the heat and humidity of the day, I decided that DD and I can hit the local pool.  Not a real fan of the post childbirth-girth I have going on, but I can honestly say I have seen way worse at the pool today.  Yep, still fighting that never ending battle to shedding some really unwelcome weight, but realized that I at least have the modesty to wear a one piece swimsuit.  I just wonder what some of these people were thinking when going swimsuit shopping and walked out with a bikini when they are nowhere near having the right shape for one.  Okay, I know that round is a shape, but not really appealing to see a bikini try to stay on one.  Okay, that was a little mean to say, but with what I saw today... you would have said "Yikes", too.  I do have to admit, they have some very strong convictions and an even higher level of confidence to pull that look off in public.  As for me... I prefer to hide the flaws.  Kudos to them, I guess.  I was just not prepared to find out that setting up a place to sit and read that was far from the crowds was such a good idea.  Getting older requires a bathroom to be nearby.  The heat of the day got me to jump in the pool without dipping my toe in and the cold snap of the water had me jump out, trot across the deck and hit the bathroom.  Thinking it was a fluke that one time, I go back after reading a few chapters of my book since I was feeling a bit hot and as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, I had to hit the loo again.  Yep, I am officially old.  Not even 43 yet and feeling my age.  HA HA HA...  I just hope that when I wake up on my 43rd birthday, I don't notice any more getting old experiences.  I need more time to get used to the ones I am dealing with now.

Well, off to do some grown up stuff...

Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment