As the saying goes.... "Whenever you assume, you make an ass out of you and me". I can only guess that saying could apply if you decide to research something that could possibly be a result from something else and get either too much information or too many optional outcomes from the vast information offered.
I can only assume (hahaha assuming), that you are scratching your head in wonder for what I am about to share with you. Well, here is what I have so far and I have plans of doing to the source in just a little while so I can get the facts.
Well, I have had a month of dental visits that I was not all that thrilled about. I was in agony for weeks prior to Mother's Day to get me to snap and state that I needed to go to the dentist. The right side of my face was killing me and eating was no longer enjoyable. In fact, the thought of chewing anything was a feared thing. so of I had the choice to eat or starve... I would have chosen starving, but my body refuses to agree with my mind. Well, I went to the dentist and had two teeth on the upper right side tended to. One was to replace a worn old filling and the other was for a cavity I somehow got. Most likely from my perpetual sweet tooth, but I assumed that regular brushing, flossing and rinsing would have prevented that. Yep, an assumption that still landed me in the dentist chair. I was feeling loads better after getting that fixed, but I was painfully tender in my cheek and gums where the dental work was done, it took me almost 2 weeks to feel "normal" again. According to the dentist, getting any dental work beyond a regular cleaning is considered trauma to the mouth and will eventually heal. It depends upon the individual to how long it takes for the healing process to complete.
After I started to feel back to some semblance of pain free, I managed to land some terrible pain on the left side of my mouth. I have no clue what happened, but an old filling snapped out of a crown that had a second root canal done in it. Yep, a 20-something year old root canal was done wrong and I happen to be that special breed of person to have an elusive extra nerve that was not tended to. That second root canal was done years ago (5 to be exact) and I managed to pop put the filling in that crown, but wondered how I could still feel pain. Well, let me tell you kiddies..... the nerves in the teeth/mouth have zero rhyme or reason to where the pain is actually from. It can be the next tooth over or a tooth below it. That was my issue. I apparently cracked a tooth's surface. Not enough, but over time, it became a cavity to deal with someday and that someday was yesterday. Along with that tooth, I had the start of yet another small cavity. Yep, that sweet tooth is going to be the death of me!
With that knowledge in mind, my dentist proceeded to fix the missing fill to that crown and treat via drilling and filling the two cavities. One was on the upper part of my mouth and the other was on the lower. Fortunately. it was on only one side of my mouth, but getting multiple shots of Novocaine is not fun, let me tell you that. Needless to say.... everything is done and I am feeling better except for one thing.
This "trauma", or so it is called is being dealt with yet again. Just because of the recent work. I learned my lesson and have been taking 3 Advil 2 times a day, starting with the first dose just before the Novocaine wore off. It was nice to not be in pain when that glorious stuff wore off. I figured I have a fighting chance to having a better experience in healing this time around, but alas, I have a new concern facing me. I am swollen on the outside of my cheek, right about where the dentist put a shot inside my cheek. It itches a little, but I think it is more psycho-semantic because I took it upon myself to look on line what are the signs of having an allergy to Novocaine are.
Dumb move on my part because the information is so vague that I am picking and choosing what I think my situation holds. It states something like... swollen area of injection (check), itching in area of injection site (check? It did not itch earlier, but now I feel an itch coming on), heart palpitations (nope), shaking (nope), fever (no fever, but it is 80 degrees outside and I do feel a little hot, but I doubt I have a fever), difficulty breathing (my allergies are in full bloom, but nowhere near having it be difficult to breathe... just a stuffy nose), anaphylactic shock or death, (oh Hell no! Still on this side of the sod, Thank GOD!)
Yep, definitely wondering.... do I consider this little firm bump on my cheek as a cushion for healing from the shot or do I look at this as an allergic reaction and freak out every time I get some dental work done. Of course, there are alternatives out there that I might fare better with, but I am not even sure that this is an allergic reaction. Would my dentist know? I would think so. Have I confronted him with my recent findings? Not yet. I need to know more and would rather get it from the source because if I am to know the truth..... I better get it from a person rather than a website that is required to notate every possible scenario that could happen and allow me to choose if it is what it could be or not.
Ever hear those commercials for anti-depressant medications? Heck, it can be about any pharmaceutical to treat one thing or another. It is that disclosure of potential side effects and believe me..... I would seriously consider dealing with some of the condition to be treated than deal with the side effects of the treatment. I remember reading the potential side effects of a medication that I was asked to take and the contradictions were head scratching to say the least.... possible weight gain or weight loss is one that has me wonder. If I could choose, I would opt for the weight loss selection, but alas, I don't get to choose.... the medicine and my body's reaction chooses for me.
Well, the dentist office is open. I am going to stop by and see what he thinks about my cheek. Better to get this information from the source than assume the worst. I'll keep you posted with my findings.
Thanks for reading.
No comments:
Post a Comment