Thursday, October 24, 2013

Uh oh! I think I am broken, therefore I must be!!

Okay, to all those friends of mine that love spending their "down time" with a good book.....

Have you ever read a book and WISH that place actually existed?

How about all those reality show fanatic friends I happen to have...

Have you ever thought that it would be so COOL to meet some of these people in real life?

I certainly hope that there are people that agree with the above statements because.....  I think I have hit the brink of sanity here and I am painfully afraid that I am sinking into the abyss of seeking a fictional life experience.

Fictional life experience????  What is that???

Simple to explain and hard to believe is what that is!!

Upon reading a recent book, I now have the painfully strong desire to take a trip to some podunk town in the South just to meet a cowboy and see if they are all smooth-talking gentlemen that I have read.  You know what that means if you have read as many romance novels as I have that set the scene in a big place called.... Texas.  Heck, just getting the opportunity to stroll into some honkey-tonk and be re-introduced to the two-step would be quite thrilling to me.  Of course, I would be that kind of person to just be happy getting a cold beer and a bar stool.

Of course, after reading about cowboys and romance, I started to re-read a series that is set in the Sierras and suddenly I want to go, yet again, to a little town nobody has heard of to be immersed in the small town charm while taking a hike on a trial to see, smell and experience nature.  Being suburban born and bred, I never felt all so awe inspired at a forest preserve, but maybe a national park might put a sparkle in my eyes again.  Well, it could be because there are apparently some darn good looking adventure guides in these places.

Then, there is obviously the story about a law enforcement officer willing to risk life and limb for my safety that seems to sound quite appealing.  Of course, I am not in any dangerous situations that has me being protected by someone else.... Darn it!

How about the opportunity to meet (and get to know) a hockey player, a football player or even a baseball player that exudes "bad boy charm" and charisma.  I am a HUGE hockey fan, but any sport would do, that is, if I get to go to the games.

There was even a story I read that had a man actually cook for his beloved...  just because he cared enough to do so....

Really.... what is happening to me?????

I am not a romantic person, but I guess it would be nice to be romanced from time to time.  Is it wrong to want a little romance in my life?  Is it wrong to want someone to protect me if I feel threatened?  I sure hope not because I learned I have a soft underbelly that I did not think existed before.  Just knowing I have one is unsettling, to say the least.  In fact, I am just a little jealous that fictional characters have all the luck!

Now, I am not all that much of a fan for reality TV, but the few I have managed to watch has had me wondering.....  Wouldn't it be so cool to actually become friends with one of them?  I mean, really, I watched "Rock of Love" where Bret Michaels was looking for love and all I thought was.... "He just really needs a good friend to turn to and I have no doubt we could be great friends."  Heck, I would just love to meet the Roberston family from Duck Dynasty.  They seem like a real fun bunch to hang out with and who knows....  I might learn how to hunt.  Eh, probably not, since I have a guilt complex killing deer, but I would shoot a snake in a heartbeat!  Not sure I would eat said snake, but I know I would shoot one and not feel one twinge of guilt doing so.  I even recall watching a reality show about Ozzy Osborne and his family and I would think it would be cool to just hang out and cause a little mayhem.  I do have a talent to swear like a trucker, a sailor, or whatever you want to call it, so I would fit right in, right?

So......  Where is this desire to travel to places that are not exactly a tourist attraction such an attraction to me?  I have no clue.  Why do I have this strong feeling I could be a great friend to a person that does not want to know I exist?  And the even most disturbing one yet....  Why do I want to experience some kind of romanticized existence with some good-looking, smooth-talking Southern Gentleman or law enforcement professional?  That one has my head scratching.  I think I need to blame it on the books, I tell ya!  Blaming it on the books!  My little escape has become more and more of a quest in life and that tells me that something is definitely broken in my world.  Scary?  Yep.  Unsettling?  You betcha!  How do I fix it?  No clue!  All I know is that my bucket list is growing and there is nothing I can do about it except acknowledge that it exists.  DH is not a romantic sort.  He has admitted it to me.  He does have some sweet moments.  They are fewer than they were when we were dating, but he does try from time to time.  I can only assume he lacks the energy and determination to try anymore, but I know he has it in him to be sweet and thoughtful.  I just happened to stop holding my breath for another act of unexpected kindness to emerge.  I just figured that he is capable without me nagging for it.  Sadly, he chooses to not try and I refuse to nag.  It is what it is.

I just wonder.....  Is this longing for more something I need to act upon?  Or is it something I should just accept and keep trudging forward in the life I happen to have.  Oh well.... back to reading some of my favorite books.... again!

No comments:

Post a Comment