Thursday, November 21, 2013

The Mental(ity)block.....

Have you ever noticed that just about everything is affected by attitude and level of confidence?

Lets just say that individual attitude is what makes or breaks a life event, okay?  My last blog post, I asked 'Why can't I be that confident person that can face the world (flaws and all) and just be happy in the now?', and apparently, there was a serious misunderstanding by some people that felt compelled to confront me face-to-face about it.  It was probably due to the fact that I was just not all that thrilled with the notion of going back to dieting in order to feel better about myself when it basically does the opposite in attitude.  You know, as well as I, that when a person goes on a diet... they feel deprived and cranky.  Exercise feels more like a punishment than a fun thing to do.  The constant watchful eye on calorie count, fat grams, and nutritional knowledge that makes the people that are around them very uncertain of a positive experience because jealousy rears it's ugly head because chances are.....  others that surround a dieter are not on a sacrificial journey to lose some weight and are free to eat whatever they want with zero guilt attached.  TRUST ME...  I am fully versed in this world.  I am a meat and potatoes kind-of girl that is being forced to live eating like a rabbit.  Definitely NOT a happy journey to be taking, if you ask me.

Of course, it is an all too common journey taken by women everywhere.  Men happen to take this journey, too, but with their metabolism being different...  the journey is short-lived and rarely ever feels like a diet to them.  For women... it is a life long battle that pushes the limits of even the most reasonable of women to the brink.  You rarely ever hear a man say, 'Just hand me the chocolate and nobody gets hurt!'...  nope, that is something a woman on the edge is saying and it fares far better if you do as the lady asks ;)

What I am trying to get at is the recent misunderstanding of what I was trying to share last time spurned on a subject that I felt needed to be shared.  In fact, I almost feel compelled to spell it all out in capital letters to get my point across, but alas I cannot alter a person's perception of anything because they will already have a preconceived notion of what I am saying without fully reading the blog.  Of course, the truth is....  these people that act upon what they perceive are those type of people that never read the owner's manual to anything they own and rarely, if ever read the instructions before using a new item.  You know who you are, so don't deny it....

You are probably asking, 'Would you get to the point already?', and here is my simplest reply.... so here goes....

The point is......  In every experience we happen to have in life, good or bad, it is shaped by the attitude we have.  It is very rare to find a person feeling all confident and happy with their weight to suddenly go on a diet/lifestyle change and be happy with it.  It is rare to find a person looking forward to swimsuit shopping after gaining the usual holiday weight that happens to all of us.  It is uncommon to find a person jumping for joy about getting a root canal.  It is even more uncommon to find a person that is looking forward to rejection of any shape or form.  No, things like these (and many more) are least enjoyed and our attitudes affect it greatly.  In fact, it increases the displeasure when the displeasure in already in place before it happens.

We are not perpetual rays of sunshine that seek the good in everything.  We all get disappointed from time to time.  Heck, life is not always fair or easy.  It is how we choose to perceive something is what draws us to early conclusions.

Sure, people are wonderful actors.  We can slap on a smile and pretend that everything is coming up roses for everyone else around us, but acting can only take us so far.  We do happen to choose those select few to know the whole truth, but in general, life becomes more of an act instead of a life filled with feelings.  That is where I see the line between fake and reality being blurred.

I just had a nice long talk with my best friend last night.  She is miles away, but just talking with her opened up my mind considerably.  Of course, she does share with me some interesting things she happens to find and one thing I will have to research further is the notion that talking about negativity brings on some sort of euphoric high to the brain and that it has potential of becoming addictive to see the negative in everything.  In fact, it can make a usually positive person look at everything in a negative light.  It sounds just odd enough to be something quite reasonable when it comes down to certain people I happen to know.  In fact, it seems to explain a lot to me about those kind of people.  That it just might be that being miserable is what makes them happy.  Oh, I know... total head scratching concept, but it sure sounds plausible to me.  I, personally, would prefer to be happy because I am happy and not because I am miserable or I drag others around me to "misery town", but as I am typing this....  I am seeing some shred of truth to it.  Quite sad, if you ask me, but we are a complex breed.

NOW TO THE POINT OF THIS BLOG.....

With these recent findings of feelings affecting basically everything we experience and how these feelings affect out perception of an event personally taken.... is it possible to truly create a change in attitude over a negative thing and make it a positive experience?  Or do we need to already be in a positive/confident state of mind to truly become successful?

Does a nagging notion of dislike to a number on a scale hold value to a person's self worth?  Does this feeling of being less than worthy affect the outcome of an act to improve the outcome of a less than enjoyable journey being taken?

And...

How does one achieve the confidence and positive mentality to achieve a goal set before them?

That is what I am thinking about today.
Thanks for reading and have a great day...


No comments:

Post a Comment