I really do not know why I am blogging about this, but the thought came into my mind this morning.
Ever have a moment that you wonder... what if?
I never really had one until I joined Facebook. I never really fathomed reconnecting with old friends. Secretly, I hoped I would. After high school, I seemed to drop off the face of the Earth to my friends. After getting my diploma, I hit the ground running and never looked back. I figured that life was my oyster and I needed to seek out everything I could. I made plenty of friends along the way, I had some interesting events happen in my life, and I became a work-a-holic. I watched as my life changed course at least 6 times. I was like that boat out in the ocean, just riding along the waves, never knowing which way I would go. It was exciting, it was scary, and it was never predictable. There were plenty of good times and just about as many sad times.
I guess everyone has a moment that brings them back to their roots and makes them wonder where they would be if they kept contact with people that helped shape your life. I wondered if those friendships were strong enough to stand the test of time. Well, I can say that the friends that I have prove to me that they can. I love that :)
Reconnecting through Facebook is like a reunion every day. Getting to know your friends again through much older eyes. Seeing where they went after high school makes for interesting conversations. I happen to have a few friends that I have known since birth. These people are like family to me. That kind of connection is hard to find and it is cherished to the core of my being. I was never a clique' type of person. I had friends from every group. There were the stoners, the geeks, the jocks, the bookworms, the preppy ones, and the loners. I was never one to conform to any of those groups. People liked me for who I was. That is all that mattered to me.
The ones from my past that had me so nervous were the ones that I had a relationship with, or could have had a relationship with. Lets just call these... The ones I loved and the ones that got away. I dated a lot in high school. I never made a big scene about it. I was never one for gossip. I just always wondered if a person could still be friends after breaking up, if a person you had a crush on could go back to friend level if the feelings were never returned. Well, I can honestly say that even after all these years, I can still be friends with the ones who broke my heart and the ones I broke their heart. I can have friendships with past crushes and have no regrets.
Do I wonder...what if?
Of course, I do. I refuse to give names and I would not act upon them. I believe that everyone has a moment, or two, that they wonder if things would be different if you did not pass up on what could have been. If you stuck around long enough to see what would happen. But life constantly moves forward, we tend to move along with the tide in that great big ocean of life. I just happened to have an outboard motor on my boat and I moved faster along the tide back then ;)
Do I have any regrets? Maybe a few, but I am happy where I am now. I have a pretty fulfilling life. I have my family, my friends, my job, and plenty of memories. I cherish each and every one of them.
Feel the love, my friends... Feel the love :)
Thank you Facebook for reminding me that there is a lot of lovely people in my life!!
Facebook is pretty great for that. Hope you had fun shoveling. I just got done. The shit was heavy. :)
ReplyDelete