Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lowering your expectations......

Everyone has a predetermined set of expectations in every aspect of life.  We truly only want the best.  We all want to be thin, beautiful, rich, happy, loved, and more.  We know what we want, we try to get what we want and we rarely ever settle for less.  Sadly, we set ourselves up for failure.  Being pleasantly surprised is a rare thing.

How would you feel if everything was perfect, all the time?  Think about it... Visualize it...  Sounds nice, huh?

I just wonder if everything was perfect all the time, life would be quite boring...  painfully predictable.

In the religious respect, it has been said that God only gives you what you need.  There is no need for anything else.  I have to say, I have my doubts.  I have a long list of things I need, but I know I am not going to just have it land in my lap.  I actually have to put in some effort.  I think I know how to get where I want to be, but there is always some level of expectation that needs to happen.  Otherwise, it is not exactly what I want, when I want it. That is just a recipe for disappointment.  Maybe that is why I always seem to fall short....  In the grand spectrum of it all...  It is not really a need, but a want.

Today was just one of those days that I think I hit my limit with a piece of electronics that was not even mine. I bought a mp3 player for my husband for his birthday.  It was probably one of his favorite gifts because it really is something just for him.  Snowblowers, shop vacs, and tools are nice, but anyone can lay claim to use them.  This mp3 player was set up with his favorite music...  his personal mark of claim.  Seeing him crank that thing up with the headphones on, smiling, tapping his foot to the music is something that makes me smile.  He is happy and in retrospect, I don't have to see my walls shake with the stereo cranked for all to hear of music I really am not in the mood for.  How many times do I need to hear Rainbow In The Dark by Ronnie James Dio?  I like Eric Clapton, but do I really need to hear Bell Bottom Blues at an ear shattering level?  So, his gift is a gift to me and my ears ;)

For the first 2 weeks of owning this thing, my husband had issues.  Damn thing locked up whenever it felt like it.  I get to hear the whining that it is not working right and get it handed to me to fix it.  My husband has mastered the perfect level of whining that makes me jump up and do whatever it takes to get him to shut up.  Even when I am not feeling up to doing anything.  I spent plenty of time, in fact, multiple times fixing this damn thing.... Reformatting, reinstalling the firmware, reinstalling his music.....  I hit my limit last night and decided to contact the manufacturer again about finding a solution.  After them figuring out that I have exhausted every possible solution, they tell me that the unit is probably defective.... REALLY?  I am not a rocket scientist and I knew that.  I get the authorization to return the unit and get a replacement.  Hoping that the next one is not defective, I go back to the store where I bought this thing.  Great customer service there.  Completely painless to exchange for a new unit.  In fact, they gave me a better version (more memory) and did not charge me the difference.  I walk in thinking I am getting the same thing again and was PLEASANTLY SURPRISED with something BETTER!  Good thing I did not set my expectations too high, huh?

I guess we need to lower our expectations from time to time.  Get that pleasant surprise once in a while.  Even with lowered expectations, we can still be disappointed, but not as much as of we had raised the bar.  In my experience today...  If I was to get a match to what we had model-wise, I would be pleased with the fact that this one is not defective.  I just got lucky that this one is actually an upgrade and is working like a champ... for now.  Just going to keep the expectations low this time....  Less disappointment potential :)

1 comment:

  1. A husband listening to music with the headphones leads to a peaceful house. You should teach my wife that trick. :)

    ReplyDelete