All the necessary precautions were taken, Lysol Disinfectant is my cologne, alcohol-based hand sanitizer is attached to my hip and is used all the time and all of that failed this morning....
4am was the waking hour with the double-whammy that I was not happy to see happen.... Nasty back spasm hits and my sinuses were so clogged that the only way I was getting oxygen in my lungs was by my mouth. Dry and crusted over lips that felt if I was to move them, they would crack off. Now, isn't that a pretty look to have... not! I get up to venture into the kitchen for something to drink, grab my Aleve and pop two of them in my mouth. With a hard swallow (since I hate pills), I manage to get them down. I grab my trusty pillow and venture to my downstairs to turn on the TV to distract my raging thoughts about the pain in my back. After about an hour writhing in odd stretches that only Gumby can manage to try to loosen the knot in my lower back I notice that the Aleve is not helping my back, but it magically releasing the swelling in my sinuses. Who knew that the strongest OTC pain reliever chooses to alleviate the lesser of the two evils first.... Lazy.. humph! One unexpected, but good sneeze ends up in a required shirt change. Feeling quite gross, I go back into the kitchen and find my ice pack to see if that will help soothe the spasm that woke me up in the first place. Just gotta love those infomercials they offer at that hour on a Sunday morning. Without them, I would have no reason to snicker and laugh at the terrible acting they offer. The over dramatization is completely laughable.
Almost 4 hours of "quiet time" mixed with agony and the rest of the family starts to wake up from their slumber. Sigh, this mom has to put on the "I feel great" face and act like I am a superwoman, ready for the day's activities. You know, they don't cook or clean... only me. With less than a week away from Thanksgiving, we still have to go grocery shopping to pick up all that we need for that day. Yep, I am having family over. I actually look forward to Thanksgiving because for some odd reason, I go through this phase that I like cooking. Normally, I hate it because I am bored. Picky eaters offer less options if what to cook from day-to-day. Believe me, I will probably loathe the days before and after, but when T-day comes, I have excitement pouring through my veins. I can't sleep the night before, but crash real easily after. I am like Ralphie and his brother on A Christmas Story. Racing down the stairs in excitement and ready to face the day. Once the dust settles, (and the wrapping paper is shredded), I am unconscious on the floor. I just hate that my "down time" for being sick needs to be on hold. Way too much needed to be done and with my poor planning skills.... not enough time in the day. Hopefully, this cold is just a fluke and remains at a low level of disabling a determined person like myself. Once Thanksgiving is over, then it can slam me into the ground like it usually does. Heck, it can drag me down to its lowest point just before Christmas. I hate dividing my time between two families anyway.
Maybe, and I am thinking just maybe..... DH will take pity on me about being sick and do all the Christmas shopping... HAHAHAHAHA!!!! The day that happens.... I would have to take DH in for a cat scan because there would have to be something seriously wrong with him to offer to do any shopping alone. That, or some evil scientist made a clone of a man I thought I married. Either way, it still would be an appreciated surprise to me. Sadly, it would be a short lived one.... A girl can dream, right?
Well, blogging about the challenges I face today (going grocery shopping, knowing it is going to be insane today with family in tow), the list I need to make of what I need to remind myself to take care of because I will forget, and fight my first cold of the season in secret from DH and DD (because that is what supermom's do... never stop working... even for a cold)... is not going to get anything done any sooner....
So.....
Have a great day everyone!!
No comments:
Post a Comment