Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Question answered....

Ever notice that just about on every comedy-driven show that has a husband and wife in it, the wife is so into taking ballroom dancing lessons or going to a play or opera?  Apparently, TV writers have been using that bit for quite a while.  Nowadays, it is far less, but it does manage to sneak its way back in there from time to time.  It made me wonder why women would think that this stuff is considered fun.  I know that I have tomboy tendencies and would rather go to a truck rally or a car show, but in the grand scheme of things, it made me wonder where a woman would get an idea like this.  While going to a play might be fun for some, I just cannot find the excitement.  Opera or ballroom dancing looks like a total snore fest to me.  If DH asked me to go to any of those things, I have no doubt that I was being punished for something or his desire of self-punishment needed a buddy to share the experience with because he has zero interest in things like that.  DH is a very basic guy...  Give him a beer, pizza, and some good friends.  That is the recipe for a good time to him.

While I see things the same as him, I have noticed that my desire to do something.... better yet... anything, has placed me in the position of a typical woman.  I started getting interested in things I know that DH would absolutely hate.  Lucky for him, it is things that do not require his presence.  I would not mind taking an art class or a beading class.  Maybe join a book club or take a refresher course on sewing.  Even taking a cooking class would sound fun.

I wondered why the sudden interest in things like this and the answer came as bright as a light bulb that indicates an idea or "ah ha" moment....  Women get the desire to do something different because they are living the snore fest that their significant other feels is "good enough entertainment".  Lets see a man do the same crap day in and day out because they feel it is far more important to make someone happy (and not necessarily yourself).  Yes, I see that men toil at their daily job and that, in essence, is like doing the same thing every day, but women do that and more.  While my domestic duties has me biting at the bit to run away and never return, I accommodate my husband's desire to do absolutely nothing when he is home.  My goodness!  I just don't think I can take another episode of his handful of shows on TV every time he is home. All it has been is reruns or the story line is so blah that even new episodes seem to feel like reruns.  He prefers to watch only a handful of movies and even though they are classics...  after the 30th or 40th time watching them... they do get a little old and boring.  Believe me, when you can just about recite the movie from beginning to end...  it is time to move onto something else.  Even the concept of food has become repeat performances after repeat performances.  His picky palate now resembles a "food jag" that children go through.  And just to think that it took me almost 3 years to get DD off her hot dog kick... I figured I could handle mundane food choices, but with DH's selection.... I think I might just go mad!!

So there you have it, folks....  If you are in a committed relationship and your significant other is biting at the bit to do something you see as a punishment....  Take the time to reassess what you see going on.  If there is no variety, you better figure a new spin on something different that you can tolerate or go back and do something you have not done in years that was remotely fun.  That, or suck it up, man, and just do as you are asked.  An idle mind is a terrible thing.

Lucky for DH, all it took for me to get some new air in my stagnant life was to buy a new grill pan and try a new recipe this week.  Crisis averted, but still bobbing near the surface.  I wonder if he can ease up on the budget a bit and let me sign up for Zumba, Yoga, cooking class or art class....  Well, off to do more laundry...

Thanks for reading and have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment