Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Whoops, forgive me for forgetting.....

Today's blog has some religious context.  While I admit that I am not a person that talks all that much about religion, I am a believer.  I just believe that things like religion (being so vast in choices and all) is a personal thing and to not be shoved down the throat of every person I come across.  If you feel that my sharing moment about religion is a sensitive subject to you.... May I suggest you stop here and stay tuned for another blog I will most certainly put out for the world to see that may or may not offer some entertainment value without religious undertones.  Thanks :)

It has been well known that there are certain times of the year in the Catholic calendar that reflect upon the mysteries of the faith.  While it is shared every week in mass, there will always be some sort of awe inspiring mystery to the faith.  Miracles are usually the first and foremost things discussed as noteworthy things that cannot be explained.  Then there, of course, are the mentions of Christ's death and resurrection.  While normal folk, like ourselves, cannot fathom how a person who, in all intended words, can return to the living once pronounced dead.  That belief is a testament to undying faith.  While I can say, without a doubt of waver in my response, believe completely that there is a greater being out there and his name is, God.  I believe in his son, Jesus Christ.  I believe in how he came to be.  While being born from the womb of a virgin may seem a little far-fetched, it is a miracle that is believed.  I believe that there is a heaven, I fear that there is a hell, and knowing that I am far from perfect will be concerned about where I will be going when my time comes because I will always fear the unknown.  It is not like someone that manages to pass away is able to tell me that I have a guaranteed ticket to the pearly gates.

While this religious calendar has been far from random in how it goes, we have certain times of the year that we are needed to make personal changes and challenges to become closer with God.  One time is called Lent.

For those that are not familiar with the Lenten season when it comes to Catholic faith, here is a shortened version of what it is about and what we, the Catholic faithful, do.  Lent is a period of 40 days and 40 nights, spanning between Ash Wednesday and Easter Sunday.  It is a period of prayer, penance, fasting and self denial.  Until recently, I included Sundays for Lent, but in all actuality it is not counted.  This period of time reflects upon many aspects of the bible.  Ranging from the time Moses spent on Mt. Sinai with God, to the rain that Noah built his arc for, and more.  The number 40 was mentioned quite a few times and has been embraced as the time frame for Lent.  During Lent, Catholic and Christian followers take 40 days and 40 nights to reflect through prayer, go to mass to seek forgiveness (besides confessional), abstain from eating meat (on Fridays), and make a personal sacrifice of something that challenges you (as like when Satan tried to tempt Jesus, but not as extreme).  Once Easter arrives (which is also noted for the return of Christ), we can go back to eating meat on Fridays and what we gave up can come back into our lives.  It is a testament of faith, belief and strength.  While I am aware that some of these practices are man-made, it is to test the moral fiber of every follower.

Since Lent is an annual thing, like Christmas, the 4th of July, and all the other holidays...  it should be easily remembered, but since not everyone is Catholic or Christian...  it is a holiday that not everyone partakes in and can be easily misplaced in planning.  This year has been no different than others, but being on a budget from week to week, forgetting that there needs to be a meatless choice every week does happen.  Obviously, I forgot to look at the calendar this month and planned ahead.  I also have not put much thought in what I will be giving up for Lent.  Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the beginning of Lent.  In the practices of my youth, we are to not eat meat.  Last year, out of curiosity I grabbed a sheet from Church after the Ash Wednesday services to see what is actually required.  Little did I know, they changed the rules and I was supposed to not eat an actual meal for the whole day.  While I am allowed to have a snack to curb the hunger pains, what I was to allowed to eat should not total what a meal is, combined.  Epic fail last year.  I was determined to do better this year and realized that our meal planning for the week did not consider Lent starting tomorrow...  Yet another fail in progress.  While it is quite easy for me to just not eat, I cannot do that to a growing daughter and a husband that is not a perfectly practicing Catholic.  While DH may seem so lax in the religious practices, and I not being excessively demanding that we go to mass every week (we could be a bit more consistent)...  I would at least like to try to follow at least one practice in its entirety.  I just wonder how I can fix my oops before it becomes an oops repeated.

Well, off to do a little soul searching to figure what I am willing to give up and what I can do to actually not make that oops tomorrow....

Thanks for reading and have a great day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment