This morning I was on Facebook and since I am a fan of Channel 2 News Chicago, their networking person shared an article about a small town in Baltimore that is passing a law that states their county is making the English language its primary (and basically only) language to be spoken. Basically, it is a scream of conformity in the premise that if you live in America... you need to speak the language. I can only gather that the tolerance of catering to people that flat-out refuse to learn the English language has hit its breaking point.
While I agree that America is an English speaking country, we have been seen as a melting pot of diversity. Good old Lady Liberty states that everyone is welcome. Too bad it did not have the added clause of requirement of consideration of the language being a factor. I have to admit... I am a tolerant person. While I whole-heartily agree that showing conformity to a foreign land is just common courtesy, there are plenty of people that either feel that heritage surpasses the ability to change or they feel that the masses should accept diversity and conform to cater to them. Better said... refusal to learn the language is a rude behavior that has them (the non-conforming person) expect special conditions just for their language because of the language barrier.
While America has been seen as a tolerant nation that accepts all, we are also the weakest nation when it comes to standing firm on its principles. Having me press 1 for English is beyond frustrating, but quasi-racist. Since when it is up to us to decide what language we want to be talked to. Chances are, we will end up with a person that has such a thick accent that be can barely understand a word that is said. While I can appreciate the efforts of the person that obviously has a dialect issue, I find it painfully irritating to try to comprehend.
Since it appears that conformity has been allowed to Spanish speaking people, I do see it as biased against other languages like German, Polish, French, Russian, and Chinese. Obviously, I missed far more languages since there are more countries with other languages to list, but you get my point. There are not enough buttons on my phone to select that many different languages. Point being said, people that speak other languages other than Spanish had to conform to speaking English when they came here. So what makes Spanish speaking people so special? Are the less intelligent? Or are they just more stubborn to change?
As I see this... that little town near Baltimore has finally said "enough is enough". Who can blame them? I sure can't. While the constitution never stated that there is a required language, we really cannot see that little town in Baltimore as being able to stand firm on its law they passed, but kudos to them for trying. I just wonder.... when will the day come when every person can show respect for where they live. I know that if I was to move to a foreign land, I would learn the language. I even know quite a few people that would agree with that statement. I just wonder if the people that choose to not conform would understand. It is all about respect... wouldn't you think?
Thanks for reading... Have a great day :)
No comments:
Post a Comment