Friday, May 17, 2013

Not one to complain, but.....

I have remained quiet for quite a while now, but it has now come to the point I need to "speak" my thoughts....

"You would think that after seeing the dentist for one pain, you would be free from it once you get the work done, but alas I am still cursed with pain!  Really, how long does it need to take to heal after getting multiple Novocaine shots to get two, and I mean two little teeth fixed?  It has been 5 days now (and I am counting the day I got the work done) and I am still sore!"

Oh, how can this be, you ask?  Well, it appears that every time a person sees the dentist, getting those shots and all that drilling is considered injury to the mouth or some other word that is used to state that you will remain sensitive for a while.  According to my dentist, people recover at different rates.  It is not considered a normal occurrence to get a needle poked into your junction point between the cheek and gum, nor is it considered a natural thing to have a drill bore holes into a tooth.  Heck what is used to fill the holes is considered foreign to the body, but all of those things had to be done in my mouth.

Oh, I know that I am not the only one that endures getting things like this done in their mouth.  In fact, I have zero doubt that regardless of how well a person does the preventative measures (brushing, flossing, rinsing, and such) at home AND the required cleaning at the dentist by a dental hygienist is going to help avoid this inevitable situation.  People get cavities, people can even manage to break a tooth and require repair, and even there are more and more people with the unfortunate misfortune of getting a dreaded root canal.  So, I know I am not alone.  I just happen to feel alone when it comes to the healing process because apparently I am one of those that does not heal as quickly as most, or so as I have been told by my dentist.

X-rays were done on both the upper and lower side of my mouth.  Poking and prodding was performed.  Questions were asked and answers were given.  The sigh of relief that I was not slapped with the unlucky stick and was told I needed a root canal was heard when I was told it is an easy fix to the agony I prolonged for over 2 weeks.  The fear alone was almost stifling when it came down to what could have been a root canal-ridden double-crown fiasco that I thought I was up against, but a very strong sense of relief was the victor when something as common as a cavity was the culprit.  I just was not thinking that getting 2 teeth done at once was going to create such a prolonged healing process.  Heck, I am still sensitive today.  

Advil has been my friend and even after seeing the dentist for a recheck of my progress just days after getting the work done is making me fearful that there is still more that needs to be done.  The only upside is that the sensitivity in chewing food is gone.  I still have a little sensitivity to extreme temperatures.  The real pain in how my gums and cheek feel.  It is like I have a perpetual feeling like I burnt my mouth on something hot.  Tender to the touch is more like it.  Sure, I can chew actual food on that side of my mouth, but the feel in my cheek is not all that comfortable.  Trust me.... I walked into my dentist's office and had him take a look.  He poked and prodded... asked questions and got answers.  Apparently they call this "healing from trauma", and it takes time to heal.  REALLY?!?!?  Well, slap me silly and call me Sally!  I already knew that!  My question is when do I have to return for more trauma to alleviate the trauma I have now?

I was told it could take another week for substantial relief.  I guess I should be thankful, but I already suffered two weeks before I got some semblance of relief.  I know it is my own doing that I dragged my heels for so long.  My reasons are weak for doing that, but so common.  Seeing the dentist is not cheap.  Never has been.  Dental insurance is expensive and it covers basically nothing beyond the annual cleaning.  I have asked DH if they considered getting dental coverage, but it is not fiscally sound to spend that type of money.  Buying it on our own is not possible.  We can barely afford what we do get in insurance coverage.  Anything beyond a simple visit to the doctor causes an extreme change in the bill and insurance companies like to pick and choose what they are willing to pay out for.  The only way insurance companies like their customers is of they never get sick and never need additional services.  Heck, if you never see the doctor, dentist or optometrist... they would be ecstatic to have you as a customer.  Gotta just love that Obama Healthcare bill....  A half-baked plan that never looked beyond the idea to how get coverage for everyone regardless of preexisting conditions, but never capped the insurance companies in the process.  Sure, people can get coverage, but it will cost you an arm and a leg to have it.  Even remotely healthy people are feeling the pinch when their coverage is less, but the cost is more.  Deductibles and premiums are on the rise, but the actual relief a person should have when it comes to coverage plummets because you know (as well as everyone else) it is gonna take a good punch to your wallet.  Do we place blame on the professionals that work in the various areas of healthcare (doctors, dentists and such) for the strain?  I doubt it.  They are slapped with being required to have more insurance for their practices from malpractice because there are more and more sue-happy people that have a lawyer on speed dial than ever.  It is known that nobody gets out of life alive, but it would be nice to not struggle so much to at least exist these days.

Now, I ponder the notion that I might be slightly allergic to what the dentist used in my mouth.  I was assured that my previous mention of allergens was acknowledged and proper measures were taken, but after a little research....  I find out that people can become allergic to things that they were not allergic to before as they get older.  I know that this is true because I became allergic to acrylic monomers due to overexposure when I was lassoed into doing nails for a spell.  That chip-resistant polish people are raving about?  I am allergic to that stuff.  You see, gels and acrylics have a similar component and I am sensitive to it.  So sensitive, I break out in a serious rash with blisters within an hour of exposure.  Looks nasty when it hits my hands.  I have avoided that stuff for years, but it is quite possible that there is a similar component in dental fillings that could be the culprit for my slow healing time.  There is not much I can do about it if I am exposed.  I just have to wait it out for it to leave my body.  I am already on allergy meds and it is possible that it can help, but medicines only go to where it is needed most and eventually will help out in other areas.  With my allergies in full bloom, it will take a while for my allergy medicines to become effective enough to handle this possible allergic reaction (if it is one).  I just seem to lack the patience to see that happen.  

I really only hope that this is just a healing process from all that "trauma" from the dentist chair and that by the end of next week I can no longer feel the discomfort that I happen to feel right at this moment.  I just do not want to return to get more dental work done if this is not the case.  I am on a payment plan for that $450 I just spent on my mouth and I am not sure that DH would understand of there is more that needs to be done. Oh well, at least I vented about this.  Only time will tell.

Thanks for letting me vent.  Have a great evening!

1 comment: