Monday, January 3, 2011

Emotional Hurdles......

Waking up this morning to the start of things getting back to normal should be a joyous event for me.  My husband is back to work, my daughter is back to school and I get some peace and quiet.  I decided to start mapping out my starting point for my commitment to a healthier weight.  I know, I know....  I was not going to blog about every aspect of this journey I am taking.  I am not... really.  Just my thought process is what I am doing.  I am not going to share when I went to the gym, what I ate (unless I found something absolutely wonderful about it), or anything about pounds lost or pounds gained.

Emotional hurdles; The thought process that makes what you thought was going to be easy into something that  is impossible to face.  It could be about anything that can make a person stop in their tracks, turn and run in the other direction.  Fear of failure from fact.

Since it is the new year, people get that gung-ho feeling about achieving what they are set out to do.  Some see it through, others lose the oomph and give up.  It all comes down to the strong facing their emotional hurdles and being rational about it.  I figured that if I was rational, I can face this with hope that I can do anything.  I no longer want to be that weak person that quits when the challenge is too big.

Well, I decided that the start of any journey begins with a starting point.  Mine was to step on the scale.  I now know that was a poor choice to gauge my success.  After seeing the number on the scale, my feelings became unreasonable.  I think it is in every woman's DNA that we want to portray the models in the magazines and we have zero patience to really get there reasonably.  We know that the pictures are touched up and nobody is really that perfect....  Well, unless you are a Victoria's Secret model.  All I have to say about that is.... They have to be robots, cyborgs or some form of alien being to look that good.  Maybe they are plastic surgery freaks and I just don't have the money to be surgically enhanced.  Either way, it is not possible to be that perfect if you are me.  I need to embrace the fact that I cannot be that perfect, but I can be better than what I am now.  In the housing market, I am considered a fixer-upper, a handyman's special ;)

I guess the whole point of this blog is that I need to remain focused and stop being so hard on myself.  After seeing the number on the scale, I became quite mad at myself and internally started screaming, "how in the hell did you let yourself go this bad?!?!"  I sure do have a fire under my tush to lose the weight, but I know that this is the gung-ho, flash in the pan determination that will and up having me quit before this new year is up.  I have a tendency to go overboard with the diet and exercise and not get any results.  My body loves to hold onto fat when I go into diet mode because I am starving my metabolism.  I know where I go wrong, but how to overcome the emotional hurdle that sets me up for failure is a challenge that no therapist, no group session, no pep talk can get me through it.  I have those damn blinders on and nothing is going to get me to reason with myself....  or is this realization a first step in overcoming the first of many emotional hurdles that lay ahead?  Maybe there is hope?

I am not perfect....  I am a work in progress :)

Work and effort is not meant to be easy....  Life is a challenge... Just do it ;)

Every day is a gift... That is why they call it "the present".

We do not live in a "one size fits all" kind of world.

Beauty comes from within...

Have a great day everyone :)
cya!

I am off to battle my emotional hurdle of the day!!!

1 comment:

  1. OMG Nancy I love you. :) I am so glad you are a blogger. :)))

    WOW!! :) U R tremendous. :))

    ReplyDelete