Sunday, January 9, 2011

For love.....

The things we do for love....  Great song from the group 10cc.  Such a light and airy tune about what a person would do and feel just for love...  As the refrain goes....  Like walking in the rain and the snow when there is nowhere to go and you're feeling like a part of you is dying, and you're looking for the answer in her eyes...  I doubt that I have ever wandered in the rain and the snow just to see if everything is going to be okay in a relationship, but I have no doubt that we do things that would not be considered "normal" in the eyes of your friends and family.  People change.  It is obvious, but you never notice it....  Your friends and family do.  That is what love does to a person.

I like to call this the rose colored glasses syndrome.  Believe me, it is a wonderful thing to experience, but in the mix of it all we tend to lose sight of some pretty important things.  It can be those little red flags on things you never deemed to be a potential problem, or it can be about who you are as a person to your friends and family.  You know, the ones that pick you up when you fall, who are the strong shoulder to cry on, the rock of stability we all need....  Those people.  Love encompasses every aspect of life because it is such a strong emotion.  We desire to be loved, we yearn to give love.  There is no greater thing than what love can offer a person in their life.  We have no control on love.  It can twist, turn and tweak into something that can be painful.  That is why that one song "love hurts" is so true.  The one thing that we hold in such high regard, that feels so wonderful, can hurt you.

Sometimes, love can make you lose sight of who you are as a person.  Your priorities change.  You put yourself out there willingly with no concern about getting hurt.  That kind of love makes you different.  I know all about that kind of love.  That level of love happened 11 years ago and I have no intention of changing it.  You see, 11 years ago, I became a mother.  My daughter is the greatest gift in my life, but the biggest challenge.  She is part of me and I am part of her.  I just wondered if I was that much of a challenge to my mother when I was a child.  Probably not, but back then, I was quite stubborn too.  I just never fathomed the words that my mother told me would be so true...  "I am your mother and I would take a bullet for you, I would stake my life to keep you safe, I would starve in order to feed you, I would give you the world of it was there for the taking, and the reason why I would do this is because I love you".  It is all about sacrifices for the love of another.  Things you want no longer are important as long as they have a need.  Pretty deep stuff, huh?

In the journey that we call life, we sometimes forget who we are for the sake of another.  Being a mother does that to a person.  It is just interesting that when we lose who we are, we suddenly want to find it?  I am interested in finding the old me and tapping back into my inner awesome, but I want to do this with balance.  I want a mix of the old me with all that awesomeness that I possess, but rarely tap into, and the current me that has made sacrifices that I never thought I was capable of.  I guess it is about discovering who I really am.

Love thy self and all will become clear.  I just need to learn to love myself again.  I have the loving others thing down perfectly :)

1 comment: