Ever wonder if you are making the right choice? I am not talking about which type of toilet paper to buy, or which company to choose for car insurance, but diving into that great unknown facing something bigger.
I see commercials about medications that are supposed to help a person with whatever ailment they have. The idea is nice, but taking a pill is something that sounds way too risky. Especially when you here what the potential side effects are possibly sometimes worse than the condition it treats. Disclaimers and warnings do demand attention. You never know if you are the one that can die from a simple, little pill.
We are a chemical enhanced generation. Simple things like the foods we eat are genetically altered. Either to be able to produce more for the masses, to speed up or slow down it's growth cycle, and even to enhance the taste. Everything we eat, breathe, drink and bathe in is all enhanced or altered. There are some things that are making the comeback to the tried and true and it is called organic. Taking pride that organic foods are the closest thing to as nature intended them to be. The cost is higher to buy organic, but the desire to be more natural is there.
The life expectancy of people is higher, but at a cost. Medications to treat and possibly cure. Medications that help people be the "healthiest" that they can be. It makes me wonder if these medications are the things that counteract what our enhanced foods do to us, or is it really the best way to fight the ailments that were the cause of the mortality rate being so low in the past.... Kind of like the ying-yang effect.... One balances out the other. Supplements and vitamins taking the place of actual nutrition because what we have been consuming in order to live has been lessened by chemical enhancements. Makes me wonder, how about you?
Well, then there is this other thing that has been on my mind lately. Will our dependency on chemicals ever go away? I am guessing not.
Not that long ago, I realized that stress can cause a load of things... It is different in each person. Stress can be from external events that become internalized. Our bodies are so complex, doctors and scientists are learning every day something new. New ailments, new tests, new treatments.
Some people find relief from stress without the need for pills. It is in an activity that can be the cathartic release. Might be exercising, might be blogging, might be just talking to another person.... no pills required. What if the stress a person is feeling is because of changes within themselves and not from an external force?
I have to admit that blogging has been my release. I can get my point across of what I am thinking. Blogging is like dental floss for the brain. Something to clear out those little tidbits of thoughts and feelings so a person can get it out and move forward. It is nice that something so simple with no side effects can do so much.
Here is where my thought process becomes torn. Blogging is a wonderful release for me, but there is something that is happening to me that is not under my control.... Getting older. We all get older' from the moment we are born until the time we die, we are getting older. It is not such a bad thing, it is what mortality and nature is all about. I am just scared of what lies ahead. Some call it "the change", for women, it is called menopause. I am no spring chicken and I never claimed that I was, but once you turn 40, the inevitable is getting closer. I noticed some changes this past couple of weeks that makes me wonder if I am one that is entering that phase in my life. I made an appointment to see the doctor to see where I am when it comes to the change. Something like this has been noted that there are stages a woman goes through and I am wondering if I am entering those stages. Knowing is half the battle, so I am taking that first step in knowing and getting the blood work done.
I just wonder, if I know and it is required to take a pill to make this stage in life easier, will I take it?
I wouldn't be worried about the menopause. I have been through it. It isn't so bad. ;)
ReplyDeleteFrom someone who is relatively healthy, and never gets headaches. I never take pills pretty much. Let's face it the companies are out to make money, so perhaps their marketing is better than their product. Just being cynical. :)