Monday, January 17, 2011

Shoes.....

Good morning!  First thought that came to mind was the realization that my feet are still hurting from Saturday night.  How is that possible?  Well, it all starts with an old saying that my father told me when I was a kid...  "Somewhere in your life, you will realize that function is more important than fashion."  This discussion came about one day when I asked my dad why he only owns 2 pairs of shoes and my mom owned at least a dozen.  He was never a materialistic man.  Just having the basic necessities was just fine for him.  Well, except when it came to cameras, film and all the camera equipment that comes with it.  Weekends were not exactly all encompassed with tackling a "honey do" list.  There were weekends he would just love to go to the local camera store and find something cool to bring home.  I have went with him on quite a few trips to Wolf Camera and just seeing that glimmer in his eyes told me that this is his passion.  His job title was cameraman for a printing company.  He took concepts, photographed them, and created negatives that eventually became stamps for stamping items.  I can recall a couple of big accounts that they had...  General Electric and McDonalds.  I just thought it was interesting how they did put a stamp on a light bulb.  Needless to say, I thought my dad had the coolest job.  He had his own darkroom.  Just hanging out in there when I was a kid was like an adventure.  Man, I miss him so much!

Well back to that saying....  I am not one who wears heels all the time.  I prefer sensible shoes because I spend so much time on my feet.  My preferred choice of shoes are gym shoes.  There are times that I will wear heels (if the outfit requires it), but if I could get away with any flat shoe, I will lean towards wearing that. It was just one of those days I could not find anything to wear to work that was remotely comfortable that did not require heels.

So here I am.  Spending the day on my feet, on a hard and unforgiving floor, with heels on.  By the time my day was over, my feet hurt.  I took my shoes off to rest a bit once I get home.  I figured that I would find something comfortable to wear to go out in.  Well, my end result in choice of what to go out in to see friends required wearing heels again.  I figured since my feet were feeling a bit better, I should be just fine.  Boy, was I wrong!  Standing again on an unforgiving hard floor with heels on.  By the time I got home, I was hurting again.  "Oh, a good night's rest out of those shoes will make me feel better", or so I thought...HA!  I get out of bed, pounding hangover headache and my feet are screaming in pain.  I can't even think straight and I have to be back in my Sunday routine.

I have taken pride in proving my husband wrong.  I was told, quite a long time ago, that when I go out with friends to a bar, I become completely useless.  All I want to do is sleep.  Family time suffers when I get a hangover.  Apparently, HE has a system that he can be completely functional the day after "tying one on".  To me... that is a challenge I feel compelled to face.  I learned that I can be a really good actress.  Deep down, I may be suffering, but on the outside, I am a functioning cog in society.  I take my Advil, have a little breakfast, drink a load of fluids and I am fine by.....  Bed time ;)  I just push myself to act like I am just fine and dandy.  So far, I gather it is working because I have not heard a complaint from my husband about being a hungover lump of flesh... ;)

I was just a little disappointed that my feet hurt so bad yesterday...  all day.  I guess this experience has become a "note to self" moment.  When wearing heels all day, avoid wearing heels at night.  So what if the shoes look awful with the outfit.  Be the tomboy you always have been, Nancy.....  Be like your dad.  Wear sensible shoes all the time.  My dad wore gym shoes to my wedding and I had no complaints.  In fact, I should have been wearing gym shoes to my wedding, too.  Then I would not be complaining about how my feet hurt.

Sorry about complaining today.  Today, my feet are getting back to normal and not hurting as much... that is just wonderful to me :)

Have a wonderful day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I had the same problems a few years back. I haven't worn heels since. :)

    ReplyDelete