Good morning! Just taking a moment to floss before I face more housework. Luckily, I have very little to blog about. So, this will be quick and painless....
Spent yesterday focusing on one task because I apparently still have the reading fever going on. Looks like I will be frequenting the library just a bit more in the coming weeks since the last book I read only took me a day to complete. Not sure on the number of pages, but 21 chapters via the Kindle Fire probably guaranteed me at least 300 actual paper pages if I read the actual hard copy of a book. I can at least breathe a little easier since it was strictly laundry and if you all could have seen the way my laundry room looked like..... it was quite a feat to clear that room out. Basically, it looked like a clothing store blew up down there. Darn shame I did not take a picture to really drive the idea home, but I was determined to get something done other than the usual stuff of dusting and using the vacuum.
Along with the usual tasks taking far too long to get done, I am thankful that the weather is finally starting to show signs of Spring. The last snowfall was roughly 10 inches of a nightmare that I really did not want to deal with. Probably because I was running out of places to put the freshly shoveled snow. I actually have a pile of snow in front of my house that was almost as tall as me, and being roughly 5 foot 7 inches (on a good day), makes it hard to heave the heavy slop we got when it came to snow. Sadly, I think my little chair and table set that I have on the small patio/seating area by my front door is going to need to be replaced. Plastic stuff is not meant to take that much snow being piled on it. I could be wrong, though, but I will have to wait until that snow pile melts to see if that is the case. With the temperatures nearing the 40 degree mark.... I am just thrilled to see that white nightmare finally melt. Of course, I have a new set of concerns to deal with. With all this snow melting, a rainfall on the horizon, and living in a subdivision that tends to flood quite easily.... I have a huge pile of snow covering this house's only defense to getting sewer backup when the rains flood the storm drains... the shutoff valve. I just hope the upcoming rains do not pose a threat before the roughly 2 feet of snow can melt away so I can access it. I really do not want to flood here. It is a real pain-in-the-backside to contend with. I just have to remain positive that that won't happen and all will be safe.
In my lack-a-daisy ways, I was taking my time waking up this morning. Well, that is, until I smelled smoke. Apparently, DH and DD cannot cook worth a darn. DH apparently likes his frozen waffle cooked beyond a golden brown, and DD did not pay attention to the toaster when she made her toast because her first attempt turned her two slices of bread into charcoal briquettes that she promptly threw away in the trash. I need to remind her that freshly burnt items cannot be thrown away unless it is a guarantee that it cannot catch something else on fire. Well, that and to at least turn on the exhaust fan over the stove to pull the smoke out of the house. The fire alarms were on the verge of going off. I did, though, manage to snake my way through the smoke to turn the exhaust fan on and open the back door for better airflow. I managed to check the garbage can to see if her burnt toast was melting the garbage can liner. I think it is about time to remind her where the fire extinguisher is in the kitchen and give her a quick lesson on how to use it. Fortunately, we never had to use the thing, but it is a wonderful piece of mind we have one anyway. It would look pretty dismal if our house caught fire..... DH's business partner is a fireman and we would never hear the end of it if the fire was from something as mundane as a burnt piece of toast.
Of course, after I got roughly eight loads of laundry done, I wake up to even more clothes brought to the laundry room this morning. At least I did not have to wander around the house to collect it from DD's room and along DH's side of the bed. There might actually be hope for the two of them. Still, I am not gonna hold my breath for that one. I have years of dealing with this situation and their track record speaks for itself.... it was just a freak incident.
I do have one thing to look forward to this Spring/Summer... I figured my new project for when DH goes on his "fishing" trip. I will be painting the middle bedroom that is used as the place where my computer resides. I think it is due time to do a little "redecorating on a dime". Also, I have a couple of other small projects to attend to.... DD's room needs new window coverings and there is a shelf in the laundry room that needs to be replaced. Maybe DH will become motivated to remove the old swing set in the back yard and even fix the hole in the side of the shed properly. Heck, maybe he will even paint the shed to match the house. It has only been somewhere around 14 years since the house was painted. Of course, Mr. Smarty Pants used stain instead of actual paint for the wood and that last time he painted is holding up quite well. Maybe (if I really pray hard enough), he will be motivated to paint the main floor of the house since our living room is in dire need of a new color. Trust me.... just getting him to at least paint that room would make a world of difference. I will easily live with the kool-aid stained carpet that DD created for us when she was little. I actually believe that baby steps in updating the house is perfectly fine with me, but we are in dire need of the first baby step to be taken. If we had the money to do what we really need to do... that is... put in an automatic sewer shutoff system for the house.... I really could live with my house crumbling around my ankles as long as it was guaranteed to never flood ever again. But we just do not have the $12,000 to invest in such a non-visual luxury. We have a kid we need to put through college. Oh, just to be fortunate enough to win the lottery..... all of the things we can accomplish... sigh. But I digress.... I really do not need to be greedy and win a huge multi-million dollar amount. I need just enough to pay off what needs to be paid off and to fix everything that needs fixing with a little extra to take a short vacation and cover DD's college career. In comparison to winning over 100 million... I think 1 million will be just fine. See? Not greedy at all....
Well, my daily chores sure don't get done by their-self. Time to get a-move-on. Thanks for reading and have a great day!... In fact, have a great weekend (since it is Friday, and all)...
No comments:
Post a Comment