I am usually a happy person.... Well, that statement is true. I am a happy person most of the time. That is because in my house, I have a routine that masks my true fault..... I am not a morning person for the first 30 minutes or so. If I get my morning routine, I am pretty talented at pushing the negative thoughts to another part of my brain to deal with them at a later time when I am alone. Both DD and DH know this first hand. Since I am not a coffee drinker and I avoid caffeine like the plague most of the time, I just require a little quiet time to acclimate to the start of a new day and then I am basically that calm and smiling person that people see every day. Trust me.... it takes a lot of work to get this way when I live in a house with a pair of morning people that feel the need to talk once their eyes open and even more challenging when these same two people test my patience as the day moves forward. I pretty much have the control of emotions down to a science.
Well, this morning was just another of the many that test my patience... and it really had nothing to do with the people in my house. Okay, I will admit, it had a little to do with my less than stellar morning attitude. At least I had the resolve to mask my dislike of not getting my 30 minutes of peace and quiet with sarcasm and a few choice moments to growl with a pained smile on my face.
I was up half the night with a back spasm that decided to rear it's ugly head at me. Rolling out of bed at 3:00 this morning was not my plan for a restful night of sleep, but it is part of life. With the randomness of these spasms, I am capable of handling them remotely fine even though I would rather not have back spasms to begin with.
I rolled out of bed and practically crawled my achy self (with a pillow and blanket in tow), down the stairs and straight to my bottle of Tylenol (since it is the easiest one to find in the dark in my half awake state). Then, I open the freezer for a bag of frozen peas to wedge upon my back once I hit the couch in our down stairs family room. Out of all the places to sit in my house.... that spot offers the most comfort in my healing routine so I can fall back asleep. The idea of frozen peas happened one late night when I could not find one of the many ice packs I have in the freezer and learned rather quickly it works far better than the ice pack because it stays cold longer. Since DH and DD are not fans of eating peas.... it is a guarantee that I have a bag in my freezer when I need it. Darn shame I have picky eaters in my house, but the silver lining is that I will always have something to ice down my back. Not sure how this bag of peas is holding up since it has been thawed and refrozen at least a half dozen times so far, but it is my go-to bag of frozen relief. (Note to self: need a new bag of frozen peas on the next grocery shopping trip).
Somewhere an hour or so after said spasm, I fell asleep. Quite a feat when you numb your spine with something frozen, but there you have it..... a small reprieve in my terrible sleep patterns. After getting a couple more hours of sleep, I wake up realizing that I am disrupting DH's morning routine of laying on that couch to watch the morning news before he leaves for work. The family room being the lowest point in the house.... you can watch TV without waking the rest of the family. Guilt flowing through me, I get up and do my best of looking like I had my 30 minutes of quiet time to greet DH with at least a "good morning", and a "have a nice day at work". Only to be greeted with his frustration that the local news announced an estimated 4 to 10 inches of snow coming our way tomorrow.
I growled....
Then, I cursed the darn groundhog that supposedly predicted an early Spring.... quietly. (stupid, lying rodent)
So much for faking my happiness of the morning.
With the look in my eyes appearing to look bordering on murderous, DH leaves rather quickly for work. In fact, he was not expected to leave for another 15 minutes. He knew what was going on..... I did not get my 30 minutes of peace and quiet done yet.
Apparently, the memo got to DD, too. She high-tailed it out of the house early for the morning bus to school while my back was turned. Not saying a word.... she vanished.
I popped a couple more Tylenol, changed my shirt (it was wet from the thawing bag of peas I had on my back), made myself some breakfast and got more than 30 minutes of quiet time. Ah.... silver lining after all :)
Now I get to tackle some laundry and housework.
Oh, by the way..... I had a laugh that brought tears to my eyes last night. Long story short, I embarrassed DD all day yesterday... starting with hugging her in public at the grocery store, then to gross her out with pretending I scratched my backside to make what we call "stinky hand" and then asked her to help me up by holding out the accused stinky hand. The look on her face was priceless! Still laughing about that one. I chased her with the stinky hand and she turned around to chase me with a bottle of hand sanitizer. DH shook his head in embarrassment with a smirk on his face. Apparently, he could not suppress a smile from the off the wall antics I was pulling.
Well, this work is not going to get done on its own..... Have a good day everyone :)
No comments:
Post a Comment