Monday, May 16, 2011

Dangling the carrot....

Ever see a horse being coaxed into doing something they obviously do not want to do be having a carrot on a string dangled right in front of it?  

Quite mean thing to do, I think.

Now think of it another way...  The carrot is something you want... really want, but it is still slightly out of reach and is controlled by another.  Once you can finally touch that carrot, you know that you have it.  One story comes to mind.....

A little over 11 years ago, I once owned a cute little 2-door Chevy Cavalier.  Great on gas, but not really a vehicle for a growing family.  After DD was born, DH noticed that it is a real pain to get DD in and out of the back seat.  With my bad back, and a few really close calls of getting a concussion with whacking my head in the door frame DH offers to mention that I will be getting a mini van to take place of my little car.  I was thrilled that I was even considered as the one to get the new vehicle since I left my job to become a full time mother to DD.  Being so excited that I was to get a mini van, I went to multiple dealerships to look at what was out there.  DH told me that it was going to be at a Chevy Dealership that we are going to select our new wheels, so I looked (and test drove) every choice Chevy had.  Finally deciding on a Venture, I was thrilled that the day will come that my life will be just a little easier when it comes to taking the family anywhere.  My back was singing the Alleluia Chorus every time I heard the reminder that we were going to shop for the mini van that I selected.  Sadly, the chorus started to leave as time passed.  Days, weeks and months passed with each "no go" comment from DH.  It was a year after the first mention of the van is when I finally got it.

WOW!  After recalling that story....  There have been quite a few times that something quite similar has happened...  Here is the quick list...  The much needed refinance of our mortgage (going from almost 12% from a balloon mortgage to finally getting it down to 5% fixed rate), all of our family vacations (which were a whole whopping 2 of them in the course of 11 years), our honeymoon (which happened 10 months after we got married and I was already 4 months pregnant at the time we finally did go to Hawaii), the new couch, the new TV (the old one was close to blowing up and it was expected to happen since it was bought in 1970 by his parents), the trade in of the van to get my truck (it was the last day of the extension of the lease when that happened), and finally... the kitchen table (which took about 2 years after our dog passed away).  I do chalk this all up to a husband that has zero interest in doing what is needed when it is needed, but is more than willing to make me do all the leg work.  I know that the one thing he did manage to do on his own was plan our belated honeymoon because his parents told him to do it.  Sadly, I did not get to enjoy the trip as much as I could have if I was not pregnant and was not plagued with swollen ankles and morning sickness that lasted from the time I got up until I was fast asleep.  He got to go to the bar and I got to go to the ER in Honolulu with a serious case of the "dry heaves".

At least the current carrot-dangling is not being done by DH, but us being done by the person that interviewed me almost a week ago.  I am still waiting to hear of I got the job....  Well, I sure hope I get the job.....

No comments:

Post a Comment