Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sad side of the suburbs....

Hi-ho folks!  This past weekend was filled with an over sized to-do list and really limited time to accomplish it all.  Before I begin with what this blog is all about... I would like to give a little Cliffs Notes recap of the highlights....

Work at the salon had a little surprise that I was not expecting...  The atmosphere has really changed and everyone still working there is more than helpful to each other.  In fact, one of the busiest stylists handed me a few clients of hers to fill in my day and even help me hone in my selling abilities.  Everyone was in good spirits and there was a very cohesive teamwork-like atmosphere.  It was a drama free day... Yippee!!!

Going out Saturday night with my best friend to help her get her mind off the drama that is making her sick to her stomach was a complete success!  She did have a great time, as well as I did, and managed to even make a few new friends in the process.  I am not much of a roadie and I rarely go see bands play, but I managed to see the fun in going to see live entertainment.  I even honed in my skills of being a "people watcher" and basically nailed the knowing what a person is trying to get out of the evening.  Well, it was quite easy when the actions are so obvious.  To the guy that felt that wearing a T-shirt that says, "soft core porn with hard core values"... well, you made it quite obvious that you were trolling for a "good time" with anything with a pulse.  Had a few really good laughs about that one.  It was one of those... "You had to be there to appreciate it" moments.

Sunday was slightly painful.  Saturday nights beers did a number on me and felt just yucky.  Nope, no hangover.  I did not drink to the point of stupid, but to the point of becoming a stand up comedian.  Trying to be on my "A-game" for the family was tough, but I managed since I rarely slept because of the nasty back spasm that decided to hit an hour after hitting my bed.  I was up before the family and had breakfast made for them.

Monday was the day that I was dreading.  JURY DUTY day.  I know that it is my civic duty to do this, but I really have zero patience for sitting in a room jammed with people I do not know, waiting to see if there is a trial needing jurors and going through the whole selection process all for the low, low earnings of $17.50 for the day.  The chairs are uncomfortable, it is quite boring to be sitting there, and knowing it cost me more to get to the courthouse than it is for that lousy $17.50 just sets me into a bad mood.  The jury waiting area should feel less like prison, but it doesn't.  Luckily, there was no cases needing a jury so we were all given our checks and sent on our way.  What a bummer, huh?  After spending 40 minutes driving to this place, being pushed through a metal detector, having my purse x-rayed and watching that video that reminds us that this is our civic duty to get us feeling all important to just be sent home after a few hours should make for a productive day, right?  NOPE!  I am even more behind in my daily duties of housework and running the errands that nobody wants to do in my house.  The only thing I managed to learn from this was how suburban areas have changed, thus finally coming to the title of this blog.....  The sad side of the suburbs.

The courthouse I was sent to was in a suburb of Chicago.  I do recall this area being a really nice area to be in.  I knew of a pair of family friends that as a child, we would call Aunt and Uncle living in this area.  The streets were clean, the houses were well kept, the atmosphere was calm.  In fact, you could say it was a fancy suburb of Chicago at one time.  Now, if you were ever a resident of the state of Illinois, Chicago had the reputation of having less than welcoming people in troublesome groups like the mafia and gangs making the area a dangerous place to live.  Violence was commonplace.  The suburbs was the place to move to in order to avoid the violence.  Families that felt that their children were in danger would move from the city to these suburbs to have a fresh start and a safe place to focus on family.  The sad fact was that moving your child at risk of being in a gang was really just moving the prospect of gangs to the suburbs.  Driving through what was once a really nice suburb of Chicago that was so close that you can see the Chicago skyline in a clear day has become a broken down and dilapidated place about ready for the wrecking ball.  Wrought iron covers all the windows and doors.  Broken glass window panes are framed by rotting wood.  Houses surrounded by patches of dirt, weeds and overgrown landscape have rusted and broken down cars on cement blocks in the driveways.  The people that once enjoyed sitting on their open porches are sitting behind wrought iron fences that bring on the appearance of jail cell bars.  The people that I did manage to see that ventured outside looked haggard and broken.  A total depressing scene.  Knowing that this suburb is just a 40 minute commute by car reminds me that there is some space between my suburb and this one makes me concerned.  Concerned that the spread of destruction is not so far off.  Not trying to be cynical in my thought process, but destruction has a way of moving outward.  Kind-of like a ripple effect a rock does to calm waters.  Makes a person wonder when the devastation would end.  How far does it need to spread before there is change?

I kind of placed this thought of what I was seeing as something that is just not gang related, but a warning of what the economy is doing.  Hearing about layoffs, lack of jobs, lack of money, and a depressed mood can show in more than what you wear and the look on your face.  Fear and mistrust in our fellow man is like a cancer that is impossible to treat.  Giving the hand out to those in need is just creating a larger need and no solution.  Offering a hand up by opportunities is the way to go, but how can that happen when the fear of losing everything is so great?  Greed and fear flows in each and every one of us.  Greed to survive comfortably and fear that it will be taken away so easily.  Patience and persistence is needed to just get by, but it is wearing thin.  People are reactive beings.  We have emotions and feelings, but we are primal beings.  Fight for survival is in our blood.  Sadly, it can be hurtful and devastating.  We try to adapt, but there are some that act in ways bordering on criminal.  Seeing that while driving down those streets reminds me that we are never really in the days of feeling completely safe.  Pride is crumbling like those houses I saw in that once real nice neighborhood.  One can only hope that things turn around real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment