Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I am far from hibernating.....

Hello!  As I watched the news this afternoon, I paid close attention to the weather forecast.  We have been having a really mild winter and today feels more like Spring than the actual season... Winter.  For months, we have been getting warned that this winter will be just as bad, if not worse, than last year.  If you recall, we had a blizzard almost a year ago with drifts nearing or exceeding 4 feet in height.  Suburban life was at a standstill while people dug their way out of the exceedingly deep blanket of snow that hit in a 24 hour period.  Hearing that regardless of today's high of 50 degrees with sun and blue skies is going to change into a dreary and cold day with snow by tomorrow makes it something that cannot be ignored.  While Meteorologists are never 100% accurate, we do tend to take their word for it with a grain of salt.  After hearing about the first actual hit of some snow that will stick around for a while, I checked on my arsenal of shovels and feel fairly confident that I am as prepared as I can be.  4-6 inches of snow may not seem like a lot, but when you see weather switch gears from "reasonably mild" to "cold and snow covered" in a short period of time, you look at this as something to pay attention to.

Since finally getting the fire under my tush to be less of a dieting couch potato and actually do more to see that scale move faster, I have been hitting the gym this week.  I have even been the good little weight watcher and started to be at 100% honest in my tracking abilities to keep track of what I actually ate.  The holidays made it far too easy to "forget" a few things here and there.  Even if I did not track it, it did count.  Even if I wanted to believe that if it was not tracked, it did not happen, thus not counting.  That train of thought gave me a brutal slap in the face when I stepped on the scale after all of the festivities (the worst offender was DD's birthday sleepover...  Darn cupcakes!).  Learned a valuable lesson that should keep my ability to overdo things in check when after a long break from exercising, you cannot just jump back in at the level you were when you left....  Hurt like hell after Monday's visit.  At least I did go back today and with a new plan in place, and did quite well.  I know I will feel it tomorrow, but as the saying goes... "no pain, no gain", right?  Hopefully the "pain" creates a loss of some baked goods that are on my body and not an actual "gain" on the scale.

With this new plan in place, I will be getting in more exercise than planned since there is supposed to be snow tomorrow and shoveling is considered an exercise.  Maybe this is a blessing, but I am already getting stiff from my earlier visit to the gym today and the full effects will not be here until tomorrow.  Oh well, I am taking my own advise and "sucking it up and being a 'man' about it".  Yep, no whining from this 'peanut gallery', just acceptance.  This winter was supposed to be my semi-hibernation period with the only exercise being my random need for shoveling the driveway...  not anymore.  I am far from letting myself be the 'hibernating bear' this year.  Okay winter...  I am as ready as I will ever be, so... let it snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment