Morning! Quick blog before I head off to the dentist to spend more money we just don't seem to have....
Good deeds, as vast as they can be, usually go unnoticed.... Unless, you decide to tell people about them. What about those good deeds that end up causing pain in the end? While the person performing the good deed feels mentally happy about their accomplishments, there is a physical side that cannot be argued.
Two stories that happened this weekend....
My annual volunteer stint for DD's TKD school and their annual competition is something I will probably do until I can no longer physically do the work. Setting up and tearing down takes a lot of effort from a lot of people. Loading stuff in my truck and taking it from one building to another, setting everything in its place, participating in events, being a ring judge for DD's sparring round, packing everything up at the end, and loading my truck again with stuff to take back to DD's school. Pretty full day. I actually put in almost 11 hours of solid on-my-feet work with virtually no break. Well worth it, but manages to be murder on my back. Already on day #2 of spasm-a-palooza, and not going to see any relief for a while. Darn Chiropractor is on vacation until next week... bad timing on my part... maybe his... but I just have to deal until I get to see his smiling face and his comical retort of "when will you ever learn". Between this and winter snow shoveling... he (and my insurance) are getting a workout. Good deed... Feels good to participate and help, but bad for my back.
Second story.... After my volunteering stint, I went out with a couple of my friends to have a few beers, decompress and make a spectacle of ourselves... well, more me than them... with some Karaoke. While I get compliments about my singing talents, we do end up meeting new people and get to hear their stories. Kind of a refreshing thing, if you ask me. Well, we met a new friend. Nice guy. He is extremely motivated with his quasi-bucket list. He had just finished a dance marathon fundraiser for childhood cancer. He shared pictures on his phone of his experience. 13 hours of dancing would be a bit much for anyone, but he trudged through it and helped raise money to find a cure for cancer. In all of the excitement that he possessed for this, he even managed to end his day with a beer or two and some Karaoke. Good deed to participate for a greater cause, but murder on the body. Poor guy ached, but kept a smile on his face. On a side note, my friends and I thought that he was a little ADD or ADHD. Quite hyper after doing what he did and was quite distracted with everything going on around him. In closing for that story.... WTG Jason! I sure hope you are not hurting as bad as we were predicting.
Well, I have mere minutes to get my tush to the dentist. All it took was for one missed cleaning and broke a tooth. $1600 in work later, I have to go back to finally get my permanent crown on. The dental hygienist offered a compelling argument that if I got my cleaning on time, they would have seen the fracture in that tooth and would have fixed it before it had a chance to break.... probably saving me at least the $1600 for a crown. When dental insurance is not a viable option through DH's insurance plan, it does get a bit costly. Now, I get to spend another $100 on top of that $1600 for my cleaning. I sure hope I do not have any cavities or other potential fractures, since I have the habit of crushing ice cubes and hard candy. That $1600 could have paid my mortgage for the month, but it went to my dentist.... I just cannot afford another big dental bill, so lets hope they find nothing this cleaning.... Then I get to break the news to DH that DD is due for her cleaning, too..... I think I picked the wrong profession.... Dentists make a lot of money. Sigh... off I go...
Have a great day everyone!!
Remember... good deeds have a price.... sometimes two of them (physical and mental). Here's to hoping your good deeds don't hurt too much ;) Thanks for reading!!
No comments:
Post a Comment