Friday, March 30, 2012

Lottery madness....

Gambling, taking hard earned money and betting on something with hopes it is gonna pay big.  Wouldn't be nice to win something with minimal effort?  I know I would like to see "Lady Luck" offer some of that good fortune my way, but alas the last drawing of numbers in the Mega Millions lottery proved yet again, I am a contributor to the growing number of what that one lucky person can win.  With the winning total growing into a number that makes me just dizzy with how many zeroes are at the end, I just have to at least try again for a chance of glory.

I just wondered something....  As I stood in line to make my little purchase of a $4 quick pick of numbers for the lottery, I watched people purchase stacks of lottery tickets.  Between the scratch off cards and the computer generated lottery tickets, I saw a person spend $100 in a blink of an eye.  Think about it.... $100 is a lot of money to just toss at a 179 million chance to 1 that you would win.  With spending $100 on a dream when there are bills to pay and mouths to feed, it sure caused some serious head scratching at how it has become easy to throw money away with hopes that your numbers get called.  As the saying goes...  "you never know if you can win if you actually do not try" does seem to make sense, but when does dreaming big get a reality check?  I have seen a few people at the local convenience mart with tickets in hand that won a few dollars here and there take that money and spend it on more tickets and add a little more money for more.  As the song The Gambler starts to ring in my head, I wonder if this person would actually figure when it is time to just walk away.

I can definitely see gambling becoming a disease.  The idea of getting more back than you put in does sound quite appealing, but gambling as in real life, never offers guarantees that you will win all the time.  Does greed become the brightest shining bulb in a person's psyche when they become unable to just stop gambling on becoming rich and accept that wealth is more than what a dollar brings?  I guess that is where I feel a little resentment over basically throwing away $4 on a quick draw for the lottery.  There is no way that my little $4 is closing the gap when it comes to the odds, but at least that $4 is not going to make or break the family budget.  I just refuse to be consistent in taking chances where money is concerned because eventually that $4 becomes $8 and then onto $12, 16, 18 and so on.  Stuff like this does add up.  You have to realize that these addicts to gambling have contributed to this appealing total with hopes and dreams of getting every penny back and then some.  It is actually kind of interesting that the companies that run these lotteries are not in the poor house like how government mismanagement and corporate greed put everyone in a financial pinch.  Well, not everyone.  There are the elite wealthy that have managed to save a fair chunk of their money to have that status.  While the socialist view of everyone should be equally wealthy is quite appealing, it is not considered the American way.  Then there are the innovators that remained humble when it came to money.  I have met a few people in my past that were quite wealthy, but never flaunted it.  In fact, one person I met through a friend lives in some run down little hick town.  By the looks of him, he looks more broke than I am, but owns a fair chunk of Chicago's Magnificent Mile.  Real Estate was his claim to wealth, but prefers to live a very simple life.  Sadly, I have lost contact with my friend and her friend of vast wealth.  I have wondered how they are doing now.

I guess that is where it comes to something else.  If by the grace of God and the touch of Lady Luck I was to win the lottery....  What would I do with all that money?  I know that my financial woes would vanish.  I know that my family would be well taken care of.  I would travel a bit.  I would even help my friends that are in dire need.  I would even donate to things I feel strongly about.  I doubt I would change into someone I am not because of the money, but what about the people around me?  Do people change when someone has a few extra bucks in their bank account?  Does the balance of friendship or family change because of wealth?  Are people willing to walk away from the comforts of true friendships because of greed?  I have seen those shows that showcased people that won the lottery and how their lives changed.  Not every person was truly happy with how life changes when a tidal wave of money comes their way.  Is financial wealth valued more than the things we never placed a price tag on?

All I can say is that I sure hope everyone wins something.  Even if it is just enough to get back on track financially, take a really nice vacation or to fulfill a wish they have been saving for.  That is all I am hoping for myself because I would never want to carry the burden of what to do with all that money.  I do know that if I was to win....  I could not see myself gambling anymore...  That is when I would just walk away.

No comments:

Post a Comment