A recent book that I read proved to me that nobody really sees the same thing or comes to the same conclusion. Especially when it comes to what is considered funny or not. Same holds true to what people see as serious or beautiful or ugly or even honest. There is always a second option standing in the shadows. It is up to you to decide which option it is and let everything go its course, but we need to be open to embrace the result... good, bad or indifferent. That book I read was not what I was looking for, but I could not discount the fact that it was a well written book, nonetheless. It just brought upon feelings I was not seeking. Regardless that someone else found it funny and I did not, does not prove that they were right or I was wrong or vise versa, but it did prove that perceptions are in the eye of the beholder and will reflect differently than what others will see.
Somehow this revelation of how a perception, based first upon sight, is further made by feeling. If the feeling is not mutual, there is a potential for argument regarding who is right and who is wrong. It takes a strong person to accept the notion that it is okay to agree to disagree and move forward. Challenges about feelings offers growth through learning. Our spectrum of sight becomes larger and our level of understanding grows. Along the way, we manage to learn that what is good for one is not necessarily good for another. We have a choice to conform or to change enough to make it livable, but sadly, people with their emotional attachment and strong resolve to always stand by their convictions makes it really hard to be open for inner growth. They see things as black or white... it is either right or wrong with no concessions of reason. It is those gray areas that offer tolerance and understanding. Heck, even forgiveness and trust have conditions attached to them. While it is far easier to forgive, it is far more difficult to trust as easily.
While most people, even the ones that are rigid in their perceptions, do offer moments of tolerance and acceptance (those gray areas), but only at the benefit of their own needs. These acts are few and far between. It takes a fair amount of taking before they start go give. Some times it is too late to mend the pain rendered to another by their single vision ways and their actions will be questioned. It takes stronger effort to change the views of another to see that effort is being made. Especially when there has been a very long stretch of lacking what is needed. Change should not be seen as temporary.
What makes perceptions, beliefs and acceptable behavior the way it is for an individual is what is learned or passed down from generation to generation. History will continue to repeat itself if you refuse to allow yourself to open your mind to a broader spectrum of thinking. While what you see is not what others see, it is a barricade to shutting out the possibility that you could be wrong. I wonder how to break down that barrier to allow more light to be seen. With the repeat of my history glaring down at DD when it comes to appearance or how thin a person needs to be in order to be loved by another, what personality a person needs to possess to get the attention of another, what needs to be done to become popular or well-liked by the masses, or even considering how our actions affect others positively/negatively. Is our whole existence based upon the perceptions of others or is it based upon seeking the truth within. I wonder if others feel the same way that I do.....
Thanks for reading..... Have a great day!
No comments:
Post a Comment