Monday, October 1, 2012

That's what friends are for....

There are times when a person ponders their purpose in life.  We all know that we have a job to do, we have family and we have friends, but what people tend to think about is the parameters of what those things are to categorize them into their respective groups....  what needs to be done to state that you (or another person) fits that category.

A job is something a person does that results in monetary gains and has a title.  A family is a group of people sharing the same DNA, but there are some families that do not through adoption.  A friend is a little more complex to describe because of what people consider their individual parameters of what has them see a person as a friend.  The deciding factors are endless, but the end result is the same....  mutual respect and appreciation of the person.

While there are some friendships that have expectations to be considered, there are some people that choose to go beyond what is expected with no demands for having the same returned to them.  I just happen to believe that friendships are more about the person than what they can do for me.  I will admit that I have plenty of friends, but I only have really only one best friend and that person is consistent in going beyond all others without strings attached.  I have friends that I can call upon that would have my back if I need it, but only a select few that manage to do that without being asked.  I have friends that are considerate of my feelings and try to be as supportive as they can.  I also have friends that enjoy having me in their presence from time to time.

While I have plenty of varying degrees for friends in my life, I noticed one thing about me that I felt I needed to share.....  I treat all of my friends as best friends.  I try to encompass all the aspects of what best friends do (within reason), regardless of the level of friend I happen to be to them and not expect more in return.  I have a strong level of respect and love for every person that is in my life and I try to share that with them because I hope that someday the same can be returned to me.  I hope, but I do not expect.  I do what I can because I choose to and not because it is expected, but in the back of my mind I can only hope that others can offer as freely as I can in return.  I know that is really not possible because what I see as what a friend is, obviously is not the same in another's point of view.  I do happen to have friends that have expectations that the feel is needed to be met in order to be considered a true friend.  While not all their expectations are unreasonable, there are some that cannot always be fulfilled, but they base the level of friendship upon what others do for them.  Sad to say that those friends are more like acquaintances than friends, but there you have it.....

While some people can say that they are friends of many, it is a rare thing to see a friend that is willing to take a midnight text or call because someone needs to talk.  It is rare to see a friend show up in support in time of need when a family member passes away.  It is rare to have a friend that knows they are talked about unfavorably behind their back, but remain friendly towards them.  It is rare to have a friend that forgives freely, offers openly, and expects nothing in return.  It is a rare gem of a person that can put the past behind them and embrace the here and now to face the future of uncertainty with hope that history does not repeat itself.  It is a special person that can continue where they left off with a friend after a long time apart.  Time and distance are no longer the parameters of friends and the strength of their friendship.  Life can move forward pretty fast, but to be assured that friendships remain is an amazing thing.  That lack of fear of being judged while acting silly to get a friend to smile when they are down is a priceless gift to have that never gets rejected.  A simple act like a hug is a one size fits all gift we all appreciate.  Great friends do not expect to be the center of attention, they just want to share the center of the stage with others.  We cannot always be there, but we can at least connect with an e-mail, text or call that we are thinking of them and we are there in spirit.

In a nutshell....  friends are people we share mutual respect for.  Recent acknowledgements for what I do for friends is appreciated, but not necessary because I just see it as something that friends do for one another.  While most believe that friendships are effortless.... it really does take effort... just nothing beyond what we are capable of doing for ourselves.  That is why it feels it is effortless.

Thanks for reading and have a great day!  As for me....  I think I need to head off to the library again for some new stuff to read.  I have been told that my insatiable need to read romantic comedies lately is because I severely lack it in my real life.  With over 70 books read in that genre this summer, I think they are right, but at least I can experience vicariously through the stories and keep me balanced in reality.  I wonder when my appetite for that genre of fiction will cease....  it is pretty pathetic if you ask me.  Sigh...  well enjoy the day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment