Friday, November 30, 2012

A real P.I.T.A!! Is it worth it?

Good afternoon!  With a daughter fighting a fever, I have a full day playing nursemaid and got a few minutes to share a recent experience and wonder...... is it really worth it?  So, lets begin....shall we?

DD gets her Christmas present early and is thrilled that we managed to get her a new cell phone.  Her old one is roughly 5 years old and obviously possessed with it turning on and off all by itself, so a new one was necessary.  Fortunately, I looked at the cell phone she mentioned she wanted and was happy to see that it was on sale.  Apparently, shopping on-line has its perks when you start shopping on what is called "Cyber Monday" because her phone was half the regular cost and accepted by the budget control manager, also known as DH.  Took roughly 4 days from placing the order to having it arrive at my doorstep.  With a quick call to Kajeet (the company we got DD's phone), I managed to get everything transferred from her old phone and into her new one.  Gotta really love a helpful company like Kajeet is.  If you never heard of the company.... you need to take a look at their site.  They are a cell phone company for kids.  The service provider is actually Sprint, but set up with complete parental control in mind.  Made me comfortable getting DD a cell phone.  Her package is reasonable (only $20/month for 150 minutes of talk and UNLIMITED texting), and I have options-a-plenty that range from GPS services to locate the phone if it is lost (or to check up on where my child is), to setting up limits to when she is allowed to actually use the phone beyond the emergency call to home or 9-1-1.  I can suspend the service without having to pay penalties and there are no contracts....  Completely ideal for parents that have kids that clutch to their cell phones as a sense of life support.  Well, after getting her new phone set up, she was thrilled to get it when she got home from school.  She is a pro with electronics and knows how the darn thing works.  As for me....  I am lucky to know how to send a text and how to place a call.

With DD's new phone being able to take a micro SD card to load music or store pictures.... she begged for a micro SD card.  I decided that it is painless for her to have one and let her get some music that we have downloaded in the computer to sync to this mini card so now her phone is also a music player.... oh joy!  Well, curiosity killed the cat and I wondered of my mini SD card could load some music to it.  Needless to say....  I ended up calling tech support for Windows 8 in trying to figure out why I could not sync my little card and ended up having more stuff changed on my computer than I care to admit.  The smallest of request took an hour and they still could not figure out a solution.  With half of my start up commands gone that I did not want to lose in the first place, I got the tech person to forward my request to his boss and I have to wait for a call from him later today when he has the time to look up my problem and figure a solution to call me back with.  All I did was shake my head in utter frustration and agreed to a return call later.  Upon hanging up, I tried again by flipping a little tab on my SD card and tried to sync one more time.  Well, slap me silly and call me Sally, I got it to work.... Yep, this computer moron figured it out.  Now, sadly, the other issues this tech person tried to fix are messed up beyond recognition and I have no clue how to fix it, but I have managed to find an extremely intense set of commands and clicks to get to the places I need to be.... it is a real (P)ain (i)n (t)he (a)ss (known as P.I.T.A), but at least I can somewhat function with my computer again. What really frustrates me is that I no longer have the convenience of getting to my usual sites with one click.  I kind-of had it before I had this hack mess it up.  What was once slightly easier, is now a thorn in my side.

So..... this is where I am thinking if it is really all worth it.... calling for technical support from a person that has difficulty speaking the English language clearly and have a simple request turn into a 2 hour fiasco on the phone that results in destroying all that I accomplished over the past month with this new running system.  I hate to say it, but while Windows 8 is nice, I think Windows 7 was far easier to navigate.  Now, I have to figure how to fix my browser page.... that is even more messed up than before.  Sigh.... lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment